Chapter 2 The Plan

Chapter 2 The Plan

Just as Jack was completing his sentence, Oliver hit pause on the remote control for the game and held his hand like a cup to near his ear and asked Jack to quiten down. Oliver thought he heard a car door close. As he and Jack got up to see out of the living room window onto the drive way, they saw that Mr Miller had just returned home.

Jack again started very excitedly "Mum, dad's home. Can we go and see the dogs at the shelter today? I know they have good ones that will be taken by others if we do not go soon."

They heard a familiar honk and a familiar musical of an ice cream truck. It was Mr Smith, honking for Oliver on his way home from their ice cream shop. As Oliver, gathered his things to leave, Jack said to him "Oli, tomorrow we play at your house after school" and winked at him.

Oliver knew what the wink meant. Whenever Jack said something and winked, it meant whatever Jack said was definitely not going to happen. So that meant they willl not be playing at his house, and they will not be here at Jack's house. So where will they be, Oliver pondered as he made his way to Mr Smith waiting for him in their mean looking Chevy Colorado parked just behind Mr Miller's car.

"Bye Mr Miller" said Oliver stepping up onto the passenger side front seat as Mr Miller opened the door for him while chatting with Mr Smith.

"See you Oliver. Alright then Walter, I will see you at the Knicks and Pistons final this week."

"Court side, as always, Jack" replied Mr Smith, honking his ice cream musical horn that he had customised onto his Chevy, driving off.

**

The next day at Yetmore Middle School, just as the bell rang for the lunch break, Jack and Oliver hurried off to their lockers. Jack had wanted to show something to Oliver from the morning but could not get around to it. Jack had found a brochure of the animal shelter that he had brought with him to show to Oliver. The brochure read "Miles can go to any lengths to keep you company" with a picture of a very happy looking tricolored beagle with large hazel eyes "Looking for a suitable family to take Miles in before the holidays."

Looking at Oliver Jack said, "This is the dog that I want. We will go there straight after school today and get it before someone else adopts it. We have to be fast. You still have your skates in your locker? I have mine, here."

Oliver had a look in his locker "I never did take it back home when I brought it the first time. Dad got me another pair when he went to Le Mars ses..seski, oh gees, I mean the 150 year celebration early this year."

"The sesqui..cente..nary celebrations you mean. You did say he went but didn't say about the new skates..well anyways, the point is we have it for our afternoon run to the shelter just as we get off the school bus when we are return in the afternoon."

Pretty soon, the day was over and it was time to head home. The school bus went about its route after picking up everyone after school, and when it came to the stop near the animal shelter, both boys got off and quickly put on their skate shoes at the bus shelter. Then very swiftly, they went across the street all the way to the animal shelter located at the very far end of the street, out of reach of the noise pollution from the traffic and vicinity.