Chapter 5

"Why aren't you telling me anything? I know something's wrong, really wrong."

"No, it's nothing. You're just super paranoid since you got hurt at school. Chill out."

        Dalilah won't tell me anything on the bus, so I guess I'll have to wait till lunch. It seems like it takes forever but lunch finally comes, and I start my investigation.

"So, aren't you girls super excited for winter break? I just can't wait for Christmas!"

         Beatrice is super sweet, and bubbly, but even today I can tell she's thinking about something as she's talking about the long awaited vacation. I mean even Josh is acting super out of his mind with his darting eyes.

"Well yea, but I love summer way more. What do you think Kassi?"

        I was so out of it I didn't even realize when Dalilah was talking to me.

"Oh yeah, I love vacation." I say, without somehow tripping over my words.

I didn't notice at first but I was staring at Josh the whole time they were talking, but leave it to Bea and Dalilah to make a big deal out of it later.

"So, what were you thinking about Kassi? I mean you weren't even listening to us." Bea asks me as we go to our buses.

"No, I was just wondering are you and Josh related or something, you always seem to be together?"

"No, we're just really good friends. We've known each other since kindergarten."

"Hey, do you guys wanna come over my house this Saturday? I mean just the two of you. Not to be mean or anything." I ask.

"No sorry, I can't Kassi." Says Dalilah

"Yea, me too. I'm really busy," Agrees Bea.

"Okay then, I'll see you tomorrow."

"Bye."

"Bye."

        I walk home alone, and start thinking of Mrs.Dog-Muffin. Of what I possible could've done to her to have her hate me. But then as I'm half in this world and half in my own I hear something. Like someone's following me. I turn around and there he is with is hands in his pockets and a snap-back on backwards, Josh, ugh.

"Hi there. Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you." He says as he walks forward.

"You didn't scare me." I say in a stiff voice, trying to signal that I don't want to talk on this topic any longer.

Then I get to the point of why I even responded to him in the first place.

"Why were you following me?" I ask with my arms crossed.

"I wasn't following you, I always come down this way to get home." He responds.

"Always as in starting today?"

He gives a little laugh. "No as in five years before you have been coming down here."

"Oh, well I've never saw you so I didn't notice, sorry." I try to whisper my defeat as low as possible.

"Well, it looks like you've been noticing me a lot today."

I object immediately. "What? No way, that's probably what you think!"

"Hey, whoa chill. I was just saying because..."

        He doesn't finish, I know why cause I can hear it too.  Screams, close by. He grabs my hand with a light force, and we both run for cover.