City Girl 3

tw: tearjerker™ // wc: 1689

summary: this is more of a filler chapter, the next one will be better I promise

The day has finally come where Mara and her mother Lottie go back home to kansas city, the day that she dreaded so much. Ever since july fourth, Mara and ashton could barely keep their hands off of each other. They were like teenagers, so caught up in one another that they almost got caught a few times.

"Mom have you seen my- oh, thanks." she grabbed her grey cardigan from her mom, walking back into her room where she saw ashton, sitting on the bed with a small frown on his face.

"Are you sure you can't stay at least one more day?" he asks, playing with the drawstrings on his pajama pants. "Yeah. mom has a job interview with a couple realtor companies, and i need to enroll in school if i want to go back. The deadline is next tuesday."

She folded up her cardigan and set it in her duffle bag, zipping it up once she was done. She sat next to ashton on the bed, her fingers intertwining with his. "I'm gonna miss you." he whispered, kissing the side of her head. "I'm gonna miss you too, alot."

She closed her eyes tightly, a tear or two slipping out, falling on their hands. "Then why are you leaving?" his voice broke a little, his grip on her hand getting a little tighter. "My whole life is up there. Family, friends, work, school. Everything. I can't just leave that, ashton. I can't." he lets go of her hand and storms out of her room, muttering a 'fine.'

Mara breaks down, every little emotion she had been feeling inside was now out in the open. Sobs were wracking her chest, she put a pillow up to her face so that her mother wouldn't hear her crying. She didn't want to leave, really. Every little cell in her body was telling her to stay.

But she was afraid too. She was afraid to stay. Afraid to see what would happen, afraid of what her mother would think if she did because as far as lottie knew, her and ashton just got along well. Afraid that if she would stay that their relationship wouldn't work out and everything would just blow up in her face, like everything in her life did.

She set her bags at the bottom of the stairs, walking back up to make sure that they didn't leave anything behind. "Got everything?" Lottie asks, and Mara nodded in response. Lottie and Anne say their goodbyes, and saying that if they don't have anywhere to go for Chirstmas they are welcome at each other's houses and things like that.

"Aren't you gonna say goodbye to Ashton?" her mom asked, "we uh, already said our goodbyes." Mara grabbed one of her bags, heading out the door. Ashton grabbed a couple more and walked past her, not saying a word. Although there was so much he wanted to say. He wanted to try one last time to get her to stay, but it was a lost cause at this point.

Ashton gave a hug to lottie then walked back into the house, not wanting to see them drive away. They gave their final hugs to each other, Mara was the first to get into the car. She texted valerie that they were on their way home, finally.

Her mother wanted to ask what was wrong, because she knew her daughter inside and out even though Mara thought different. She knew that Mara and Ashton were more than friends. But she just kept her mouth shut and didn't say a word.

Lottie waved to anne as they pulled out of their dirt driveway, and onto the paved farmer market road, back home. A couple of salty tears slipped out of her eyes as she looked out the window, watching ashton on his horse Major. "I can turn around if you want me too." her mom said, but y/n shook her head. Still afraid. "No, keep driving."

-

It was just past dinner time when they finally made it home in Kansas City. they were both way too tired to carry all of their bags in, so they just decided to do it in the morning. Lottie ran to the store to grab something to make for dinner that night, but Mara wasn't going to eat. She had missed ashton too much to even think about eating.