Chapter 6

Peter

I knew Alex was crying. And it hurt to know I couldn't do anything about it. We eventually walked back downstairs to find some breakfast. I wanted to find a chance to talk to Tony about keeping everyone safe. But I didn't want Alex to come along. I didn't want her to worry, especially if it was about me.

¨I'm gonna go find Mr. Stark.¨ I say to her after I've finished my cereal.

¨Okay.¨ She shoves her mouth with more food. I kiss her goodbye and start going to the lab, if I knew anything about Mr. Stark, he would be in there.

¨Mr. Stark?¨ I call out.

¨Over here, Peter!¨ I hear. I turn the corner to find Mr. Stark doing something on a computer.

¨What are you doing?¨

¨Oh... just some research.¨ He clicked out of the tab.

¨Oh, well, I wanted to talk with you but it can wait.¨ I say, not wanting to interrupt something.

¨No, no Kid. I'd rather talk to you than do this stuff.¨ He nodded at the computer. He grabbed a glass from his desk and took a swig from it. It was some kind of caramel colored liquid.

¨Mr. Stark... Have you been... drinking?¨ My mind immediately went to the worse thoughts possible. It was only eight. He set the glass back down.

¨I-uh. Peter something happened... ¨ He put his head in his hands.

¨What?¨ I asked, scared of what he would say.

¨I-Peter... Aunt May's dead.¨ Mr. Stark looked away from me. Grief and disbelief was laid upon me, like the weight of the world was forced upon my shoulders. And I was the only one there to hold up the sky.

¨What? No, no, she couldn't, I-¨ I sobbed as I ran out the door. Mr. Stark said we could keep them safe, he promised me.

¨Kid!¨ I hear him shout after me. I don't look back. I run through the kitchen as I get confused looks from Natasha, Clint, and Alex.

¨Peter?¨ Lex got up from her chair and grabbed my arm but I shook her off and kept going. I left the complex and ran down the streets of New York in a flurry of tears. I ran but there wasn't anywhere to run to. I sat down on the curb when I couldn't run any longer. She couldn't be dead. This morning I woke up to the end of the world. But it was feeling just like every other morning before. What would my life mean if it's gone anyway? What was ever really special about me all this time? I couldn't stop crying. I wasn't able to save her, even when I promised myself. How could I be called a hero? I broke everything I touched. It wasn't fair. Why me? Then it hit me, I was an orphan. I mean, I was before, but now I really didn't have any family to turn to. Nowhere to go, no place to call home. What would I do? They would put me in foster care and I'd have to deal with it. No one would want me though. He lied to me, my idol lied to me. God, I was so angry at him. Even though deep down I knew I shouldn't be. It wasn't Mr. Stark's fault after all. It was mine. I wasn't there to protect her and she was killed. I never got to see her again after I was rescued from the soul world. Never even got to say goodbye. She was gone. She really was gone, I couldn't get her back. I never knew how much she meant to me until she wasn't here anymore. She was out of reach. Oh, how I longed to be with her right now. To be with my parents and Uncle Ben. To be dead.

A/N: Sorry for the short chapter. I'll probablly update sooner than later. What do you guys think so far? I love to hear feedback.