Chapter 9

Peter

I didn't expect Alex to act like everything was okay. I think we both knew that it wasn't. But if she was willing to try and fix things, so was I. We'd be okay, we have to be. After everything, Ultron, the war, Thanos.... We would be able to make it through Aunt May's death. We've gone through too much to call it quits now. I had hope. And hope could be a strong thing, unless you filled yourself with false hope. Then, the next thing that you know, you're disappointed beyond belief. I prayed that this wasn't false hope. Alex and I had walked downstairs to find some breakfast. I still didn't feel hungry, but if it was time that I got to spend with Alex, I would do anything. I did owe her a lot. I held her hand tightly as we rode down the elevator. I wanted her to know that I was here for her. The elevator soon came to a stop. We exited and turned the corner into the kitchen. There stood Steve and Wanda. Alex quickly let go of my hand. At first I was confused but then I remembered, Steve and Wanda didn't know we were a ¨Thing.¨ In fact, now that I think about it, nobody but Mr. Stark knew.

¨Hey, Alex, Peter,¨ Steve said.

¨Hey,¨ I said softly. I sat down on a barstool next to Alex. Steve grabbed us some bowls and Wanda poured some cereal into them. Steve then followed behind with some milk. Alex and I started eating. Even though it was something as simple as boxed cereal, my taste buds were heightened to their highest level. It had been so long since the last time I ate. I had almost forgotten what ¨Being full¨ meant. I scarfed down the last of it and held it out for seconds. Steve simply smiled at me and refilled it. Maybe he was happy I was finally eating. After we had finished eating Alex said she wanted to show me something.

¨What?¨ I looked at her with a smile.

¨Just wait,¨ She said smugly. I groaned.

¨C'mon.¨ She waved me over to the elevator. We got in and she punched a button that would take us to the highest level in the tower, Clint and Natasha's floor.

¨What are we doing here, Lex?¨ Clint and Nat weren't even here. Nat was training and Clint was on a mission for SHIELD.

¨Just shut up and follow me,¨ She said. And because I value my life, I did what I was told. Alex led me up a flight of stairs. I joined her at a metal door.

¨Wait, Alex. Doesn't this lead to the-¨

¨Man, you really don't listen.¨ She pushed the door open and sunlight filled the dark hallway. I followed her through the blinding light.

¨Alex, why are we on the roof?¨

¨Just shut up and enjoy this, please?¨ She held my hand. I looked away from her and out to the skyscrapers of New York. The sunrise was peeking over the tops of the buildings.

¨Alex, this is-¨

¨Beautiful? Yea, I know. I've always loved it up here.¨ She put her hand to her arm and rubbed it.

¨Are you cold?¨ I looked down at her, smiling.

¨Don't you even dare, Parker.¨ She shook her head slowly, absolutely predicting what i was about to do. I let go of her hand so I could pull off my sweatshirt. I handed it to her, she took it with a grumble and put it on.

¨You're too nice for me, Spider-boy.¨ She crossed her arms and pouted, looking as cute as ever.

¨Aww, c'mon, Lex. You know you like it,¨ I teased.

¨Maybe.¨ She stopped biting her nails and stuffed her hands into her pockets. She sauntered closer to the edge of the building. Curious, I followed her. She sat down and let her legs dangle over the side. I joined her.

¨After Thanos had killed everyone I needed a place to breathe. And this was one of the few places left in the entire tower where I could be alone. This place became a comfort to me and well, you're a comfort to me. I just thought I'd show this to you,¨ She rambled. ¨I don't know... It's stupid... ¨

¨Alex, it's perfect.¨ I grab her hand. ¨It reminds me of before.¨

¨Yeah, it kinda does. Maybe that's why I liked it so much.¨ She snuggled up to me and I put my arm across her shoulders, keeping her warm.

¨Alex?¨

¨Hmm?¨

¨Is this love?¨

¨Do you want it to be?¨

¨I think so, yeah,¨ I confirmed.

¨Good.¨

¨Why?¨

¨Because I want it to be too.¨ Then we were silent, enjoying the time alone. We wouldn't be lonely anymore. She didn't have to be lonely. She had me and this time, I wouldn't leave.