chapter fifteen

"can you do me a favour?" five suddenly asked florence. it was beginning to get dark. the two of them had been minding their own business for most of the hours they had spent in the van, a few, short conversations had been made throughout that time.

"depends what it is," florence looked up from her hands, where she was playing with a few icicles, to look at five. he was facing her already.

"can you go and get some of those coffee capsules you were on about yesterday from the store? i would go myself, but i'm trying to save the world," five asked florence with a smug smile.

florence thought about it for a few moments before huffing, "fine, but you owe me one," she swung her legs down from off his lap. they had remained there since she first got to him.

she faced five before opening the door as he began to say something.

"do you want to go back to the house when you've got them? i don't think this will take much longer and it'll be fully dark by then and i don't want you walking on your own. you could get hurt and i don't want that to happen."

florence smiled at his caring words.

he didn't want her to get hurt.

"okay then. but please don't be too long," she paused for a moment, still looking into his eyes.

six days left.

fuck it.

she leant in and gave him a quick kiss on the lips. he didn't have time to react before she hopped out of the van.

"stay safe!" she rushed before slamming the van door shut and making her way in the direction of the store.

"you too, flossie," he whispered to himself, still stunned by what just happened.

she is so unpredictable.

"i'm sorry, you can't be here. this is still a crime scene." a pretty woman with brown hair walked up to florence.

she didn't realise that this was the place five was at last night.

florence looked at the woman's badge that lay in her hand.

"i swear my brother has one of those," she said, pointing towards it. the lady looked down at to where florence was pointing.

"your brother? what's his name? i might know him."

"diego hargreeves. tall, brown hair, wears a stupid ninja-thing?" the woman turned confused.

"diego's your brother? wait, so you must be florence. i'm detective patch." she held put her hand for florence to shake with a smile.

florence politely took her hand, "it's nice to meet you, detective patch."

"you too. you know, i feel sorry for you. you have to put up with diego?" florence let out a laugh.

"he's an asshole sometimes, but you get used to it. you sort of have to, i guess."

detective patch smiled at florence's reply.

sometimes was a complete understatement.

"anyways, do you know where i can buy the coffee machine capsules from? my..." florence paused for a second, thinking how to phrase this next sentence.

five definitely wasn't her adoptive brother angmore. friend? more than that. boyfriend? less than that.

in the end, florence went for the closest option.

"my boyfriend forgot to get them when he bought his machine yesterday. i can't bare to deal with his whining anymore. he's pretty addicted to his coffee."