Chapter 3 - The Best Kept Secret

Valkyrie did not want to be at the feast.  She wanted to be anywhere but in the presence of the Asgardians and the champions from the other worlds.  She did not understand why there was this need for men to assert their dominance not only on their own realms, but over others as well.  This contest was merely a passive-aggressive way for the rulers to flex their muscles without declaring war.  It was pathetic in her mind.

"Excuse me?  You're too pretty to be alone," said a voice, and Valkyrie turned to see a man with dark brown hair, amber-brown eyes, and a goatee, standing before her.

"Can I help you?" she asked with an air of aloofness.  

"Yeah, you can share a drink with me," the man said and Valkyrie just stared at him, blinking twice without responding.  "Sorry, you probably don't know who I am.  Tony Stark from earth.  I'm the leader of the Avengers."

"Don't know who you are, and I don't care," Valkyrie responded.  Tony Stark gaped for a few seconds before he closed his mouth and shook his head.

"I'm sorry, maybe you just didn't get the memo.  I'm one of the Avengers, who defeated that mad guy, Loki a couple years ago," he said.  Valkyrie's eyes narrowed minutely.

"Would you go away if I told you I still don't care," she responded.

"But you didn't say that you don't know, so you had to have heard of that," Tony rejoined.  Valkyrie down her glass in one gulp before taking Tony's from his hand and doing the same.

"Goodnight, Tony Stark," she answered as she handed him his empty cup back.  She walked away, passing in between Steve and Clint as they approached.

"What did you say to piss her off?" Steve asked, letting out a long suffering sigh.

"Hey, at least she's a space chick, so she can't sue you," Clint cut in.

"She could kill me if she wanted to.  When I mentioned us beating Loki, she certainly gave off that vibe," Tony said as he looked into his empty glass with a depressed expression.

"Maybe she knew him?  Do you think she knew him?" Clint asked, looking over his shoulder to see if he could find her again.

"I doubt it, Clint.  She came from with that group from Sakaar.  There's no way she could have known him," Steve assuaged.  The three Avengers just stood in that corner, watching everyone else around them, taking in the other contestants and gauging their strengths and weaknesses in the relaxed environment.  

Valkyrie was walking away when Topaz cut in front of her, blocking her exit.  "Where are you going, trash?" she asked in a bored tone of voice.

"Away from you.  Sorry, the smell was overpowering," Valkyrie retorted as she skirted around Topaz.  

"Don't think I don't know where you're actually going," Topaz suddenly piped up and Valkyrie stopped walking, half glancing over her shoulder.

"And where would that be?" Valkyrie countered.

"To Loptr's chambers.  Where you are commanded to go; not go of your own free will," Topaz pointed out.  Valkyrie sucker punched her in the stomach, bringing her to her knees, and walking away.  She left the Asgardians and everyone else behind and made her way through the halls.  Finally, she arrived at a certain door and pounded on it till it opened.  Loptr leaned against the frame and smirked his insufferable smirk.

"Are you drunk?" he asked.

"Maybe," she answered as she pushed him back in and slammed the door closed.  She barred it from the inside and wrapped her arms around him, kissing him.  Loptr put one arm around her waist and pulled her flush against him.  Val shoved Loptr onto the bed and straddled him, quickly untying his hair and combing her fingers through his white locks.  When they pulled apart to breathe, Loptr's red eyes studied her as her golden-brown ones looked back at  him.  "Topaz said she knows about us."

"She knows, eh?  Do you care?" Loptr asked as he slid one of his hands underneath her shirt.

"Right now, I don't.  But if she tells the Grandmaster, then yes, I will," Valkyrie answered.  

"Well, I don't care either way," Loptr responded as he kissed her passionately before he pulled away and gripped her hair tightly in his hands, looking at her.  "You know I'm almost ready.  These games are just the excuse I need to show myself to everyone.  You know that's what I've been waiting for since I became cognizant; which I never would have done without your help," Loptr admitted.  He kissed her again before he laid her down on the bed and settled himself between her legs.  Val reached up for him, but he pinned her down, his fingers trailing lightly over her lips.  "And you're coming with me.  No discussion," he told her.

"I figured," Valkyrie responded before their lips locked and Loptr rolled his hips against hers.  She moaned and he grinned.

Val woke up when she felt an arm tighten around her midsection.  She glanced over her shoulder and through her mess of curly hair to see Loptr still asleep beside her.  His white hair was fanned out over the pillow and his eyes still closed.  His lips were slightly parted as he slept and his eyes flickered under his eyelids.  They always did; as if he was living inside a vivid dream.  Valkyrie rolled over to face him and ran her fingers down his naked chest, trying not to cringe.  She was the only person allowed to see him like this.  So vulnerable and open.  Valkyrie reached off to the side and grabbed his shirt off the ground and put it over his torso.  The movement woke Loptr up and he saw what was lying over top of him.  He glanced at her and chuckled.  "Is it that disturbing?" he queried.

"It was for you, not for me.  I know you're still rather self-conscious," Val responded as she climbed out bed.  Loptr snorted as he covered himself with the shirt and rolled out of bed on his side.  "The games start today," Val said.

"Yes, they do," Loptr answered as he pulled out a tight, leather costume and splayed it out on the bed.

"You going to kill anybody?" Valkyrie asked as Loptr picked up one of his weapons: a morningstar.  

"Maybe..."