Chapter 21 - I Am Loptr

Loptr turned to face everyone in the arena and raised his arm up in greeting.  "I am Loptr!  I was a gladiator, but now I am free!"  This sparked a confused murmur from the crowd and a growl of discontent from the Grandmaster.  "I stand here before you to denounce these games and what they do to people like me.  The combatants live their lives at the whim of their masters.  Just as you cast off slavery years ago, I ask that you end this as well.  If you must entertain yourselves, have volunteers come forward and pay them accordingly.  I've killed people in these games; people who had lives before they were forced to fight.  They had families who will never see them again; they had dreams and ambitions that will never be fulfilled.  Mine was to be free.  And I'm achieving that."

"You seem to be laboring under the delusion that you're actually free," En dwi Gast suddenly said as he stood up from his seat in the royal box.  Loptr grinned a little bit, looking like his old self for a few seconds.

"If people reach under their seats, they'll find copies of papers and a recording that will enlighten so much," Loptr stated.  The Grandmaster was not the only person who winced.  Odin was shifting uncomfortably in his seat.  The audience did as they were instructed and revealed papers of sale between the royal house of Asgard, and the dictatorship of Sakaar.  The product they were selling was simply labeled 'vegetable'.  "You see everyone, I was that vegetable."  Gasps were audible as people started watching the recording, which was the Grandmaster describing his new acquisition.  

"He's the perfect doll, so hollow and malleable.  Once he's trained, I can just whisper in his ear and he'll kill whoever I ask him to.  So kind of the All-Father to give me the good son to work with."  That statement had people whispering amongst themselves.

"The All-Father?!"

"What does he have to do with this?"

"The good son?"  Odin was gripping the arms of his chair so tightly, he was going to crack it.

"The work they've done on him is beautiful!  The scars that litter his body are exquisite!  Rather ugly sometimes, but there is a certain artwork to it.  I'll have to thank the Asgardian torturers the next time I see them.  Which will be when I register my Loptr for the gladiatorial games!"

"You see, people of Asgard, and the Nine Realms; I used to be a prince.  Apparently, I used to be your prince."  Suddenly a picture of Loki showed up next to a picture of Loptr.  Different hair and eye color, but bone structures were exactly the same.

"Prince Loki!"

"He's been fighting in the tournament?!"

"Prince Thor almost killed his own brother!"  

The last statement made Thor want to curl up into a ball and die.  He looked beseechingly at Loptr, but Loptr was too busy looking at Brunhilde.  "Are you alright?" he whispered.  She nodded and took his hand, placing it on her stomach.

"We're just fine," she answered.  Loptr nodded and a hint of a smile came across his face.

"You're accusing our All-Father of selling you into this!  Do you realize what you're doing?!" a voice cried and Loptr paused.  His gaze went to the royal box where Odin was sitting.

"I'm sure he thought he was getting rid of the problem when he sold me.  Apparently, I was too much of a hassle to keep.  I'm not asking for anybody to pay me anything.  Just give me my freedom and let me go where I please," Loki responded.  

"You think you can just make an announcement like that and leave?" asked the Grandmaster, a dangerous edge to his voice.  That was when Topaz pulled out her gun and fired.  Valkyrie attempted to jump in front of Loptr, but got his arm wrapped around her body and he flung himself between her and the bullet.  There was a dull thud as it struck flesh.