Chapter 18 - The Grandmaster Tests

Loptr  was summoned before the Grandmaster later that same evening.  When he appeared before him, En Dwi Gast took the time to appreciate the form he had crafted for his warrior.  The long white hair was hanging down his back, his red eyes unblinking, and his tally marks partially visible beneath his loose, V-neck shirt.  "You know I'm not happy you said no.  And in front of everyone," he said casually.

"I kill in the arena; not for your sport outside of it," Loptr responded in a mono-tone of voice.  

"You're supposed to do whatever I want you to do.  Whatever I tell you to do.  Why are you fighting me?" En Dwi Gast queried.  Loptr's head tilted to one side as he contemplated the correct response to this.  He did not really want to piss the Grandmaster off, but he did want to mess with him a bit.  

"Life is so boring if I'm 100% complacent all the time.  You always complain about things being boring.  I'm giving you an opportunity to find something interesting," Loptr answered.  En Dwi Gast had to chuckle at this.  An intelligent and confrontational answer.

"Very well.  But, this I have to ask... did you think the consequences?  Not for yourself, but for Scrapper 142?" he queried.  Loptr lost it when he said this and sprang forward.  However, Topaz had a gun pointed at his head, stopping him from advancing on the Grandmaster.

"You hurt a hair on her head-!" he started to say.

"And there it is!  The true spirit of Loptr," En Dwi Gast said.  Loptr halted and bit his tongue so hard he tasted blood.  "You're not as broken as you pretend to be.  Or, you're merely not as submissive as you make out.  Why the charade?  What do you hope to gain?" he queried.  Loptr continued to gnaw on his tongue.  

"I hope to gain my freedom," Loptr responded and for a few seconds there was silence.  About ten seconds later, the Grandmaster started laughing.  Loptr's eyes narrowed before they sidled over to Topaz.  She was still pointing her gun at the gladiator to hold him in check.

"Freedom?!  Didn't you once say that freedom is life's great lie?  That once you accept it, you would know peace?" En Dwi Gast pointed out.

"Then I must have been wrong.  I must not have been in my right mind.  Freedom is the right of all men, no matter the situation of their birth or social station.  You have no right to own me," Loptr said firmly and En Dwi Gast closed the distance between them.  His hand reached out and cupped Loptr's cheek.

"That's where you're wrong.  I own you, I own Scrapper 142, and... I own your child," En Dwi Gast told him.  Loptr felt the blood chill in his veins.  He had no idea that Brunhilde was pregnant with his baby.  This changed everything.  Loptr felt a glaze come over his eyes and his posture straightened up.  En Dwi Gast felt the shift in his gladiator and smiled.

"How can I best serve you, master?" Loptr asked.  

"That's a good boy," the Grandmaster said before he kissed Loptr.  After holding it for a few seconds, he pushed Loptr away and turned his back.  "Take him back to his chambers and bolt the door.  Tomorrow's going to be a big day."  Loptr turned around and followed Topaz out of the room.  En Dwi Gast smirked as he watched Loptr leave.  He licked his lips briefly and his eyes fluttered closed.

"Night, night," Topaz said in a sing-song tone of voice.  Loptr heard her close and lock the door behind him.  He tilted his head from side to side before he walked to the balcony.  En Dwi Gast was not very afraid that Loptr would escape from there.  It was a several hundred foot drop, and certain death.  Loptr paused briefly before he walked to the balcony, and sat down in a meditation style manner.  He closed his eyes and rested his hands on his knees.  He breathed in and out and focused himself.

"I don't have white hair.  I have black hair.  I don't have red eyes.  I have green eyes.  My name is not Loptr.  I have no name.  My name is whatever I decide it to be," he said.  And that was his mantra.