Chapter 2: Two-Faced

After being married a week, things felt... good. Made love a couple of times... and just fitting in together. It felt like... we were perfect. And then, Levi's work for the company began to pick it back up. Everything was the way Father wanted it all... and I didn't mind about it.

"Levi..." I slowly grumbled to him one morning, feeling unusually sick. But he wasn't in bed. I groaned as I forced my glasses onto my face and wobbly walked in search for him.

"No, it has to be today. Erwin, I mean it... it has to be done. You can't take time off. I'm sorry that you have an event today, but right now." He sighed as he got off the phone; his fists clenched together.

Cautiously, I walked behind him, hugging him. "You okay?" I knew he wasn't... 

Once more, he sighed heavily, shaking his head. "No... no I'm not." When I gazed down to his fists, they remained clenched... "The company needs more work than I thought... I'm gonna go down and properly sort them out."

I nodded, feeling more worried than I was earlier. "I-I don't think I'm gonna come in with you... I think I'm sick."

Levi then stopped completely in his tracks. He never bothered to turn around. "Sick? Then... why did you hug me-"

"I... I just wanted to comfort you... and I wasn't thinking... I'm sorry, Levi..."

He sighed heavily, waving his hand to me. "Go lie down and rest. I'll be back. I'll even make dinner, okay? I'll handle everything."

My hand instinctively reached out to him as he walked out the front door... but it wasn't enough. Sighing, I hope I could try to rebuild things when he returned back home. But I knew it wasn't enough to fix this problem.

*   *   *

My voice grew raspy when the hours passed. I drank enough water and still felt my throat sore. My nose twitched every other minute, almost making me want to sneeze.

The front door opened as I was watching TV, and when I turned to see who it was... Levi angrily walked inside, slamming the door behind him. His fists were clenched and I saw how red his pale face had become.

"L-Lev-" I coughed heavily, feeling it tear my sore throat.

He turns towards me, scowling. "Tch... Hanji. I said for you to rest." He walked over to me, cautious to not touch me or get in a 3 foot radius around me. "What were you doing?"

"S-Sleeping... and watching TV... I got bored just trying to sleep..."

"That's the whole point of resting. Your body needs it." He grumbles, staring me down with steel eyes. A heavy sigh escapes him as he leaned onto the counter. "Shower. And... I'll make you... some noodles. I know you like ramen."

I nod, "Okay." I responded before wobbly walking towards the bathroom to shower. For a second... it scared me about how he was all angry earlier... but then acted so nice to me. It wasn't because I was sick or anything. It felt... different.

*   *   *

"Is it good?" Levi asked as he watched me eat it. "I added bamboo for your throat. And added eggs, since it makes you feel better." His smile... was just... too charming.

I nodded, loving the warmth and the taste. "Yes... thanks, Levi..." I chuckled, continuing to eat more of it. It may not be the right cure... but anything from Levi was a cure to me... "How did you find-"

"To make it with bamboo?" He chuckles. "I looked it up. But... I'm glad you loved it, Hanji... I would do anything..." He says to me, brushing my cheek.

"I thought you didn't want to touch me because I was sick..." I chuckled, a bit confused. And that's when I saw it switch.

His beautiful, stormy eyes hardening into steel. His smile turned into a scowl. "So? Hanji, just finish eating it and go to sleep. Got it?" I nodded, not wanting to make it worse. But it just clicked... how long has he has been controlling?

When I went to pass out on my bed, that thought kept me up. Could he be acting different towards the company he was told to take care of? I sighed softly, hoping to figure it out soon. Perhaps I should conduct interviews... and get to the bottom of it.