Chapter 7: Breaking Point

When days turned into weeks and into months... I watched Levi change. Yes, he was still protective and controlling... but he became... nicer. Instead of holding me back and tying me down into a submissive place, he allowed me to be a bit free. He finally let me out of that suffocating house.

But that was when my bump grew bigger and closer to unbearable. Levi noticed my struggles and quickly went to make things easier. Aiding me and keeping me close to him... always making sure I was close to him.

"Hanji, need anything?" He asked me for the 50th time. His stormy eyes were frantically examining me. "Please-"

"I'm fine, Levi... I'm fine." I chuckled softly, running my hand over the bump. "I know I am 4 months pregnant... but it doesn't mean that I'm still useless." A faint smile appeared on his face. "Trust me..."

Levi nods, falling to his knees. "Trust... something... I could never have..."

"Eh?" I turned to him, looking at confusion. "Levi... what are you talking about?"

He simply sighed and leaned against the couch. His arm was wrapped over his face, and I couldn't tell what he was thinking. "Did we ever trust one another, Hanji? Did we?"

Sighing heavily, I tried to lean towards him. "I... I once did. But... you just acted like a jerk- controlling bastard." My words just flowed out of my mouth. If we were gonna have a soft moment like this... why not confess?

Levi chuckled with amusement, removing his arm. One look in his eyes... and they were stained red. "Want the truth why? Why I act... like this?"

"Levi..."

"I'll tell you..." He took a deep breath and sighed it out. "I... I once trusted 2 friends. Farlan and Isabel. When I trusted them the most... it broke me down. I was... lax. We would always do reckless actions- not caring for the world. We didn't care how much money we had... we wanted chaos."

"But?" My eyes closed with shame. He always seemed... to be a stern man. Him being rebellious? I couldn't picture it. "Levi... what happened?"

He sighed heavily. "They... they got kidnapped. When our parents failed to give them the money -no matter how much I begged- they died... and I could never take it back. If only I persuaded them to stay here longer... they would still be alive." Once more, he sighed and sat up, looking down to the ground. "When I had a chance to protect another loved one... I wanted you safe in my care. I was... scared. Scared that you die... like them..."

"L-Levi..." I tried to talk to him, but he continued to speak.

"When you got in that accident... I wanted you to stay near me. If not... you wouldn't have that kind of thing again. And now with the baby... I still want you still near me... so I can protect you."

Sighing heavily, I looked down. "Please, Levi... you can't be that overprotective over me anymore. I'll be fine-"

"And what if you're not?! Then what?!" His piercing gray eyes stared deep into my eyes. "I lost you and our kid. I'm not losing you anymore." He groaned as he stood up. Levi took a few deep breaths before talking to me. "Get some rest, Hanji. We'll talk later." Those were his last words before he walked into the bedroom.