New Game, New Rules

Paisley's P.O.V

"Ting Tong!" I sprinted to the front door, peeping through the peephole.

"Mmrff!" My voice muffled by a mouthful of fruity loops, I opened the door a tiny crack. Swallowing my breakfast, I eyed Alex questioningly.

"What are you doing here?" She just stared back at me.

"Oh I don't know, I was just going around YOUR neighborhood selling fruity loops, lost direction, and ended up here?" Alex spoke sarcastically, arching one thick eyebrow. I let out a grin.

"You're way too early!"

"I am?"

"I'm not even ready yet, so gimme one second!"

"Fine..." I heard her mutter as I slammed the door close.

"Paisley! You do not treat a friend that way!" My mother scolded, frowning in disapproval.

"Right, sorry!" I held my hands up in mock defeat.

I bounded up the stairs into my room and went into a rush to get changed. I pulled on a way-too-tight (the selvage stuck firmly right above my ankle, although it was meant to go below it...) skinny jeans. I looked down and made a face. The color had faded from the jeans, making the once dark blue color a whitish-blue. 'Ugh, no time to change', I thought. After all, Alex tended to get impatient after a few minutes. I then grabbed a yellow baggy tank top and slipped it easily over my head.

"Wow....major wardrobe failure...." I muttered, staring at myself in the mirror. I was about to change when I caught a glimpse of the time.

"Holy moley!" I screeched. Turns out Alex wasn't late, I was. There was no time to change. I grabbed my polka-dotted white backpack and hurried down the stairs.

"Bye mom!" I waved at my mother.

"Have a good day honey!" She smiled cheerfully.

"Alex! Let's go!" I opened the front door, closed it, and grabbed Alex by her arm. She didn't budge. Instead, she snickered.

"Nice outfit....!" She commented, grinning from ear to ear. I glared sharply at my best friend.

"Thanks, you don't look so good yourself!" I pointed out.

I then took a moment to observe her outfit. Black leggings, white top decorated with rhinestones, denim jacket.....not bad. But I would never tell her that. I liked annoying her. In fact, that's just what we do every single time. Together we made a run for the bus stop. Soon, we were both panting (like dogs after a one hour sprint). My forehead was slick with sweat by the time we reached the bus. Luckily, we made it in the nick of time. I slid onto an empty seat and gasped for breath. My lungs seriously felt like exploding. Alex slipped into the seat next to mine.

"So, how about I tell you what to do on Friday night?" Alex was buzzing with excitement and ideas.

"Uhm, okay... that's so unlikely for you to get all giddy!" I joked.

"I'm not giddy, and since when haven't I been excited?" she rolled her eyes way back into her head. Her expression changed from annoyed to enthusiastic all over again.

"Stop that, it's getting way too creepy." I punched her lightly, knowing all the while she could take much, much more than that.

She kept squirming around in her seat.

"Ok, so what's the game?" I queried, Alex's excitement starting to rub off on me.

"It's not entirely a game," Alex explained. She abruptly changed her voice into a eerie whisper. "It's more of a summoning."

"Wow," I tagged along. "Who are we going to summon? Blood-"

"No!" hissed Alex. "Nothing lame, okay? Besides, we tried that last month and it didn't work."

"Yea, we didn't  have any candles back then, so of course it didn't-"

"Shh!" Alex silenced me. I glared at her but caved in. "This is going to be way more creepy."

Right. Tell me about it.