E/A Con (part 2)

Derek sat in the far corner of the large convention room with his nose in a book, while Stiles roamed the room talking to different people and listening in on small lectures be put on.

Derek had only attended one E/A Con in his many years as an alpha and he'd hated it. Deaton had insisted he go and attempt to find an emissary match. However, Derek didn't trust anyone, and Deaton stepped in enough that he felt he didn't actually need an emissary.

Derek's eyes followed Stiles as he made his way towards the bar. Derek could see the distrustful tension in Stiles' shoulders as he took a seat. He wondered, not for the first time that day, if Stiles actually even wanted to be here. Sure he'd seemed excited on the way up here but now that they were there he seemed upset. Derek had dismissed it as being nervous, but Stiles seemed almost annoyed as he waited for his drink now. The alpha debated on going over to talk to the human, perhaps bring up the subject of Stiles being his emissary instead of one of these over inflated egos walking around, but he couldn't bring himself to do it. Every time he thought about actually suggesting it to Stiles he was filled with mild panic. His heart would race, and he would start to sweat which caused him to focus on remaining calm and he'd lose his nerve. So instead he watched as Stiles drank alone at the bar.

-

Stiles was just finishing his drink when another one was slid towards him. Stiles looked up with a confused expression. He hadn't ordered another one.

"The gentleman in the grey button down would like to know if you're waiting on someone," The bartender asked glancing down the bar a ways.

Stiles' eyes followed his, landing on a blonde in a grey button down eyeing him.

Stiles felt a small smile tug at his lips, "I'm not," Stiles answered knowing the alpha would hear him.

Stiles was flattered that someone had bought him a drink. He'd never had that happen before. Usually he was with Scott and Scott was the one who got hit on all the time.

Stiles' eyes fell to the fresh drink as the alpha approached.

"I hope you don't mind me buying you a drink," The man took a seat next to Stiles.

"Not at all," Stiles smiled shyly, his eyes meeting the blue ones that belonged to the alpha.

"Jace," The man extended his hand.

"Stiles," He took the man's hand nervously.

"Your first time to one of these I assume?" Jace asked gesturing to the room behind them when he released Stiles' hand.

"That obvious huh?" Stiles bit down on his lower lip.

"You're not as...outgoing at the rest of the sparks here," Jace answered, choosing his words carefully.

"Is that a bad thing?" Stiles frowned slightly.

"Quite the opposite actually," Jace shook his head.

Stiles gave another shy smile, dropping his eyes back to his drink.

"Something is bothering you," The alpha noted then.

"I'm just not sure I should have come here," Stiles shrugged. He'd been unsure of the idea since they arrived though he'd never admit it to Derek. The alpha had tried talking Stiles out of going since he'd decided to.

"Why's that?" Jace asked with a raise of his brows, "You're an emissary without an alpha right?"

"Technically," Stiles nodded, he glanced to the side, his eyes landing on Derek whose nose was still buried in a book.

"Technically?"

"I had an alpha before I came into my abilities," Stiles gestured to himself slightly.

"But you're human," Jace pointed out curiously.

"Yeah, It's kind of a mismatched pack, but it worked. Then I became an emissary and I suddenly felt out of place. I thought maybe I could find somewhere to fit in again," Stiles shrugged, letting out a sad sigh.

"Your alpha already has an emissary," Jace guessed with a nod.

"No, that's just it...he doesn't," Stiles shook his head, "But he's never wanted one and we don't have the kind of relationship that warrants an alpha emissary bond."

"Then I don't understand why you don't feel like you should have come," Jace tilted his head in question.

Stiles let out another sad sigh, "I don't trust anyone else. It's not my strong suit. I was excited to finally be a part of something, but this isn't how I wanted it."

"Have you tried talking to this alpha of yours?"

"It's no use, he's not the trusting type either and I'm not exactly his favorite person. He's always kept me at arm's length," Stiles glanced over to see Derek was now watching him with narrowed eyes.

"Then he's an idiot," Jace said putting a hand on Stiles' hand causing the spark to redirect his attention back on the blonde.

"I'm sorry, I'm sure you didn't buy me a drink so I could wine about another alpha," Stiles gave him a smile, pushing all thoughts of Derek away.

Derek's ears perked trying to listen in on Stiles' conversation. He had allowed himself to get invested in his book once Stiles had settled into the bar alone. His mistake. He'd been approached by an alpha at some point.

"So are you planning on finding an alpha while you're here?" The blonde man asked Stiles.

"Maybe, if I find someone I feel like I could trust. It would have to be a slow relationship first though, I'm not one to rush into things," Stiles answered before taking a sip of his drink.

"That's admirable. There's nothing worse than being a part of a pack you don't get along with." The guy smiled, tossing the spark a wink.

Derek felt himself tense. This guy was interested in Stiles and not just as an alpha looking for an emissary.

*AN*
So this part ended up being a bit longer so I'll be doing a part 3...oops. lol