Chapter 14

Phoenix's POV

I texted my mother during lunch and told her that I was going to work on a project with my partner after school. She was a little skeptical at first, but I expected her to be. She's suspicious of almost everything. After convincing her that I would have my phone on me the entire time and that it was for school, she finally gave in.

I would have told her that I was going to a friend's house, but I knew she would never agree to that. Even if it was for studying, she doesn't exactly trust people. Sometimes I don't even think she trusts me with my secret.

"This is my stop," Jackson said, pulling me out of my own thoughts. He grabbed his bag and stood up, ready to get off the bus. I followed his lead off the bus. The bus driver looked confused but didn't say anything again. I wonder why he stopped making comments towards me. It's kinda weird for someone to change so suddenly.

"Are your parents okay with me coming over?" I asked as I followed him up a gravel road to a small house that stood almost alone on the street.

Jackson didn't seem to like my question, his mouth twitched like he was about to say something. Instead, he nodded and walked up a set of steps onto the small porch.

"My Grandma has been asking me to go out more or to hang out with more people, so I'm sure she won't mind," He said and I nodded in response, afraid to say something else that might accidentally make him upset. Talking about his parents must be a weak spot.

I wouldn't dare question it though, it's none of my business and I don't want to upset my first friend. At least I know I shouldn't bring them up again. Maybe some time, but definitely not anytime soon. I just barely know the guy.

"Let's go to my room, maybe she'll leave us alone that way," He said as he entered the house. Jackson muttered something under his breath, but I couldn't quite catch what he said. I followed Jackson inside and stopped as soon as I saw an older woman with white hair standing in front of us. Her arms were crossed over her pink apron that had splotches of flour all over it.

"What were you thinking young man?" She asked. Her voice sounded agitated. Uh-oh, is Jackson in trouble? "I can't believe you skipped a class, after all the talks we had. I thought you had gotten passed this."

This is awkward, I probably shouldn't be here. Especially after him skipping class was my fault. I started to tell her that, so his actions could be justified, but Jackson silently hushed me with his hand.

"Can we talk about this later? I brought a guest," He said. The woman opened her mouth to speak, until her eyes fell from his to mine. She paused for a moment, probably just realizing that I was standing beside Jackson.

"Oh, oh my I am so sorry, I didn't see you there," She said and her frown turned into a smile. That's odd, I usually get the opposite reaction from people. "Is he a friend?"

"Yes," He replied and the woman's smile grew.

"Why didn't you say so from the start? I can't believe it! A friend? Oh I'm so excited," Her mood picked up and she wiped her hands on her apron before offering her hand to me. "Darcy, I'm this grumps grandmother."

Jackson rolled his eyes and I smiled as I shook Darcy's hand. "It's nice to meet you, ma'am. My name's Phoenix."

"Phoenix? What a unique name, I like it," She smiled and pulled me into the next room that I assumed to be the living room with all of the couches and chairs around the room. "Sit dear, I'll be back with some snacks and drinks. Oh, I can't wait to tell your Grandfather that you have a friend."

Jackson's grandma said to Jackson as she patted his shoulder and walked out of the room. She sure has a lot of pep for an old person. I guess not all of them are old and grumpy.