Chapter 18

A/N: Hey guys! This chapter isn't that long, but I have more coming. This is just a small chapter for you guys so you know that I am updating this book. I apologize that it took this long. I will have more for you guys tomorrow! <3

Phoenix's POV

"What's wrong?" Jackson asked from beside me and I jumped in surprise. 'When did he show up?' I thought to myself as I looked at the boy who I didn't realize was beside me till now. "You like kind of pale. Are you going to be sick?"

I shook my head. I don't feel sick, I feel confused, scared, and... I do feel a little sick. It's weird, I don't feel like I'm going to throw up, my stomach keeps doing flips and my skin is crawling. I feel like I've seen a ghost, but I didn't. I don't know what I saw exactly. It was terrifying and I have no clue why.

"I don't know," I responded and turned my attention back to my laptop, but I didn't pay attention to anything that was on the screen. Everything felt far away. I couldn't focus my mind on school like I usually did. My mind was lost and I couldn't get it to focus no matter how hard I tried. What happened this morning sent chills through my entire body. I shuddered at the thought of Blythe's deadly eyes. They weren't emotionless, they were full of anger and blood lust, I could feel it. I can still feel it. Something as simple as someone's eyes shouldn't scare me so bad, but something about them stood my hair on end and sent my mind on the edge.

I've always been scared of the students here, they're bullies. Bullies or bystanders, either way, they weren't that great. Now I could sense a different aura from them, something I couldn't sense before. It's like I'm sitting inside a lion's den, surrounded by predators, trying to blend in. But they know, they know I don't belong. I was the one who didn't notice.

A shiver went down my spine as someone walked behind me. I turned my head to look and saw Nick staring me down as he went to his seat and sat down. He never took his eyes off of me. I sank in my seat and stared harder at my laptop, hoping that Nick would look away and find something better to do. After what felt like several long minutes, he did.

Jackson sighed in defeat beside me, "I give up." I tilted my head and looked at him, confused.

"Give up on what?" I asked, not knowing what he meant.

"You, I've been trying to talk to you for the past five minutes. You didn't pay attention to a single word." He said, narrowing his eyes at me, but I didn't feel anything menacing about it, just slight irritation. Has he been trying to talk to me? Was I that checked out? I didn't even notice the person beside me talking.

"I'm sorry, I'm kind of... lost," I said. I don't feel like telling him what happened this morning. At least not now, I might tell him later. Outside of school, outside of the lions den.

"I noticed, but I get it. I'll make sure to take notes so you don't get behind. Take your time on getting your focus back," Jackson said as he pulled up a new page on his computer.

I smiled sheepishly at him. "Thanks, I owe you one."

"I'll remember that later," Jackson said and started to type on his computer. My thoughts started to consume me again before I got a good look at his face, but there were traces of a smirk in his voice. I wonder what he's planning. I'll worry about that later, right now I can't shake this unnerving feeling I have. Like someone is watching me. I glanced in Nick's direction and sure enough, there he was, staring right back at me. His stare was a little different this time. They were in my direction, but they weren't directed at me, more like the person beside me. Or maybe I'm just imagining things? I couldn't tell and I wasn't going to keep looking to find out. I buried my head in my laptop, trying to pretend like I was paying attention to anything other than him and the terrifying eyes of my main problem. Blythe.