Chapter 15

A/N: Sorry for the late update again guys! Last month was really hard and I had a lot to deal with, I thought I was ready to write again, but I missed last week, again, I apologize. I'll be trying my best to update weekly again. Thank you all for your patience, here's chapter 17, I hope you all enjoy and thank you for reading 💕

"Well, shit," Jackson muttered under his breath as we both slowly backed away from the creek and the black beast that continued to creep forward. I swallowed softly, trying to stop myself from shaking. I've been in these woods several times in the past couple of years and I have never seen a wolf before, nor did I ever expect to.

"I got an idea," Jackson spoke again and I glanced at him for a moment, scared to take my eyes off of the wolf for any longer than a second.

"Yeah?" I questioned, my voice a little shaky as I spoke. I wanted to run, but I can already see my head being bit off from behind as I run. Turning my back towards the wolf definitely isn't a good idea. Although, I don't think staring at it is any better.

"Set it on fire."

"What!?" I yelled out, but as soon as I did the wolf darted towards us without a second thought. I gasped and tried to run backwards, but tripped in panic as the black beast loomed over me, baring is sharp white teeth. My heart was beating so fast I thought it was going to burst out of my chest. I held up my hands and let fire consume them, still panicking. The wolf seemed startled and jumped off of me. I quickly scrambled to my feet and continued to hold my hands out, not dropping the bright burning fire.

"S-stay b-back," I stuttered out as the wolf backed up itself.

"Jeez, Nix! You scared the shit out of me," Jackson hissed near my ear, now by my side. I never even noticed him get close to me until now.

"Sorry," I said, still keeping my eyes on the wolf and its dark eyes stared back, but it started to back off.

"Keep that up, maybe it'll leave us alone," Jackson whispered as he gently pulled me backwards, I didn't realize that I was stopped in place until my feet started moving again. The wolf stopped moving and just glared at us as we slowly made our way of the clearing and back into the forest.

As soon as we were a good distance away, I dropped the fire and grabbed Jackson's hand before running off in the direction that I knew all too well as the way home. Jackson didn't oppose and just ran with me through the dense forest, ignoring the snaps of twigs breaking beneath our feet. The beat of my heart matched the thumps on the ground from our feet as we ran. The sound kept getting louder and louder... Wait, that's not- Jackson was tackled to the ground in an instant by a large wolf, but it wasn't the black one from before.

Jackson cried out in pain whenever his body collided with the ground and the wolf towered over him with its mouth wide open, ready to bite his head off. He growled back at the beast and tried pushing it off of him, but it wasn't helping. I was so in shock I froze, trying to process what was happening. But now was not the time to do that.

I jumped onto the back of the wolf and lit my hands on fire. The wolf yelped as the fire burned its sides and it jumped back, throwing me off of it. I hissed in pain as my back hit a tree trunk hard. Jackson scrambled to his feet and ran over to me, pulling me up from the ground.

"Are you okay?" He asked hurriedly. I nodded in response, not really too concerned with the growing ache throughout my entire body. I just wanted to get us out of here and far away from these wolves. Jackson kept a hold of my hand as we started running once again with me leading the way. I couldn't tell if the loud thumping was from the sound of the wolves running behind us or the sound of my heart pounding in my chest. Either way, I didn't stop running and neither did Jackson as we burst through the last row of trees and to an open field.