Chapter 24

Phoenix's POV

I shifted uncomfortably on the hard, cold ground beneath me. A groan escaped my lips and I slowly opened my eyes. Everything was dark still, but I was sure that I had opened my eyes. What's going on? Why is it so dark? I wondered and tried to sit up.

Something behind me rattled like metal as I moved my arms to help me up off the concrete. I paused, cold metal was wrapped around my wrists and my eyes made out the faint silhouette of chains. Chains? Why am I in chains? I looked around again frantically, I still couldn't see anything. Everything was black.

I can't remember how I got here. The last thing I remember was Jackson's grandma dropping me off at my house. I went inside to look for my mom and... That's when someone grabbed me. I was kidnapped.

I was kidnapped!? What if my mom was taken too! I stood up quickly and tugged on the chains that connected me to wall, trying to break free of them, but it was no use. I couldn't scream, I knew no one would hear me and if someone did it would be whoever took me. I don't want that.

Don't panic, don't panic. I told myself. Just calm down and breathe. Think of a way to get out of here.

Alright, I'll just use my fire. I can melt the chains. I breathed in slowly and took a deep breath out, focusing my mind. I closed my eyes for a moment and imagined the bright orange flames move from my hands to my wrist where the chains were. I opened my eyes to try to get a better visual on the chains, but there were not flames.

Where are they? They always appear when I want them too.

Don't panic, breathe.

That's it, maybe I'm just too nervous, I need to calm down. My hands were shaking and I room in a few more breaths to try to stop myself from shaking. I need to calm my nerves and I'll be able to control my fire.

I tried again, imagining even brighter flames this time, focusing all of my energy to creating any sort of spark.

Nothing. Why..? Why isn't it working?

One more time, I can do this-

"Trying to melt the chains is useless. You can't use your ability here," a familiar voice said and I froze in fear. Who..? No way, I know that voice. My legs were stuck to the floor but my entire body began to shake. "You know who I am, don't you, Phoenix?"

"I... Why are you here?" I asked with a shaky voice.

"Why am I here? More like why are you here? You invaded our territory, attacked us and burned one of my wolves." Blythe snarled at me.

Slowly I turned my head towards where his voice was coming from. I could only make out the outline of his body. There was no light anywhere. How can he see? And where did he come from? I didn't notice a door opening.

"I-I didn't do that," I denied. I don't know what he's talking about, I didn't go into his territory. Unless he's talking about school, but he doesn't really own the school. I never attacked anyone, they always attacked me. Burning his wolf... I burned a wolf when Jackson and I were attacked. Was it his pet?

"Liar!" He roared. I flinched and backed up to the wall. "How the hell do you not know anything!? You're such a liar, everyone knows about the rules and you always play dumb and I'm sick of it. I will pry the truth out of you."

Suddenly, his hand was around my throat and I was being forced against the wall rather than my own will. The breath was knocked right out of me and I gasped for air. His eyes were the only thing I could really make out, they were a bright yellow, just like that one time at the school. My eyes widened as I watched in fear. The light was bright enough that I could see fangs growing from his teeth. Fangs?! What is he!?