Chapter Nineteen

"Psst, Avril!"

I jump, lifting my head off my desk and quickly wipe my face to make sure I wasn't drooling.

I rub at my eyes, praying that I don't have mascara all over my face now, and look up at Charlie. He seems highly amused, too amused for my liking, so I shoot him a glare.

"What?" I snap, whispering fiercely.

We're watching a video in history class and it's beyond boring. Totally yawn-worthy. Add the fact that its third period, Monday morning, right before lunch. Not my favourite combination.

Plus, I spent the rest of Saturday, all day Sunday, and every minute so far today, thinking about Dallas and rereading that note in my mind.

"What's your problem?" Charlie asks with a smirk.

"Nothing," I mutter, too tired to argue with him. "What do you want?"

"I heard some gossip," he says and raises an eyebrow suggestively.

I sit up, straightening the pen and pencil on my desk, and purposely ignore his penetrating gaze. "Oh?"

I still haven't told my friends any of the details from the party. Teagan has bothered me intensely about it, I haven't really talked to Miley but once she hears she'll want to know, and Charlie has used every trick in the book to get me to speak.

"Yeah, oh," Charlie says, mocking me. "Care to explain?"

"I don't know what you're talking about," I reply. It's not a total lie. I'm not really certain that he's talking about the party. Or me.

"Dammit," he mumbles. I grin and lean forward.

"Tough luck."

"You'll have to speak at lunch," he tells me. "You can't withstand me and Teagan together and-"

"Teagan and I," I correct him.

Charlie makes a noise of annoyance before continuing. "As I was saying! You can't handle both Teagan and I. Plus, once Miley hears us yapping, she'll start to ask. And we all know how annoying that can get."

I look at him, setting my chin in my hands. "There's nothing to tell."

"Nothing to tell!" Charlie shrieks.

I stifle a laugh as our teacher shoots him a disapproving look. Charlie smiles apologetically before shooting me a death glare.

"Smooth," I say under my breath as I pretend to take notes. Like I even know what the video is about.

"You now owe me," he replies. "So speak."

"I owe nobody, nothing," I say quietly.

"That's not what I heard," he says in a sing-song voice, winking at me.

I kick the back of his chair and narrow my eyes. "Shut the fuck up."

Charlie laughs, smirking and looking as if he has a secret. The idiot probably has a few.

"Tell me," he hisses after a moment.

I look at him in disbelief. "After that comment? No."

"I'm sorry," he says.

"No, you aren't."

"You're right," he says. "I'm not."

I sigh, frowning.

"Please tell me."

"No," I say. "You're an ass."

Charlie gasps. I try not to laugh at how dramatic he can be. "Bitch!"