CHAPTER 7

Chapter Seven

Kenna

҉     ҉     ҉     ҉     ҉     ҉

First he presents this ridiculous agreement.

Then he introduces me to the frickin’ Queen without any kind of warning.

His Royal Highness, Prince Nicholas, was a dick. A heartless, thoughtless, annoying, dick. It was no wonder he wasn’t married, he wouldn’t be able to fool a woman that he was worth it for as long as an engagement entailed. Just a few weeks would be his limit.

A few minutes was my limit.

He was infuriating.

But I was stuck here as one of the women eligible for marriage. I couldn’t leave so his deal was actually quite handy. I had a purpose now, something to focus on instead of being bored out of my mind by all these events.

He wouldn’t give me the million dollars, of course. It was just another one of his ruses to make me do his dirty work. I would do it, but I never expected to be useful or receive compensation.

Maybe, for some fun, I should steer him toward some women he would hate. At least then he would know how I really felt about him.

I spotted a woman I hadn’t spoken with and headed in her direction. She was a red haired and beautiful, standing alone with a cupcake in her hand. I made sure to pick one up along the way.

“Hi, I’m Kenna.”

She seemed a little shocked that someone was talking to her. “I’m Bianca.”

“The food is good here, isn’t it?” Making conversation wasn’t something I was exceedingly good at. But at least it wasn’t a lie.

“It’s too dry for me. They needed to put more butter in. For a palace, you’d think they had a better caterer. I hate to think what they’re giving us for dinner tonight.”

“I thought we’d be able to go home after the garden party?” It was what I assumed, and God, did I hope I was right and she was wrong. I needed to tell Linda about the deal, she was going to laugh her head off.

“For some of us, there is a formal dinner. But only a few will be invited, I hear. I have already been asked, that’s how I know about it. The prince had chosen me as someone he’d like to know more.” She said it so haughtily that I wanted to take her down a few levels. If I wasn’t so polite, I might have done just that.

I probably shouldn’t have said what I did next. “I have already spent time alone with Nick so I guess my invitation will come shortly.”

She arched one eyebrow at me. “Alone time?”

“Yeah, we had a very intimate chat earlier.”

“I don’t believe you.”

I shrugged. “I don’t really care.” I left her standing there with an open mouth.

It was really mean of me, I knew that. But something had poked at the bitch in me. The way she was acting like Prince Nicholas was all hers was annoying. There was no way I would be recommending her when I reported back to him.

When I turned I practically ran into the woman who had whispered in Nick's ear earlier before he quickly left me standing alone with the Queen. She was dressed in a skirt suit, her hair pulled back into a tight bun. This woman was all business.

“May I speak with you alone, Miss Johnson?” she said very politely.

“Sure,” I replied, as if the choice was mine.