Chapter 9: Conversation

On top of the village, there sat two vampires.

One, in some way, belonging to the other.

A very humble conversation flowed between them.

"So you were a poor girl from the water tribe, huh?"

"Yeah."

"So how'd you learn to fight?"

"My sensei taught me."

"Who is your sensei?" Freyja asked with thrill as she swung her legs. "Is he someone special like a general or a warrior? Oh! Maybe a spy?"

Hazel giggled and shook her head. "He was no one special. Just a small, in the neighborhood teacher who helped kids learn how to fight and to read and write." She sighed with a sad smile. "He was such a good man. So caring and kind to his very end."

"He died. When did this happen?"

"About two years ago from an illness."

Hazel looked out into the distance as well as Freyja.

"Has anyone special to you ever died before?" She sadly chuckled. "I know you're a vampire and you probably don't worry over things like that but there has to be at least someone."

"I have actually."

Freyja ran her fingers through her luxurious, thick, silky, black hair.

"There were two people that I loved deeply and in an intimate way. Of course, they were at two different times. The first was a human and he was an artist. His name was Dabir. We met across the lands. Our love seemed to have come instantly as our connection deepened with every word and touch. He was my life and I was his. I never told him about my secret until it accidentally came out when we were in the mood for baby making."

"Wait. Humans and vampires can have children together?"

"Yes, but it was frowned upon and still is. But not as much as it used to be."

"Well was he scared of you?"

She laughed.

"He was more curious than anything. I told him what I was and he accepted me with all his heart. Although we never finished the session we had, our bodies still belonged to each other. Our minds still belonged to each other. Our love still belonged to each other."

"However, one evening, when I went out to pay for some clothing in the market, I came back to a bloody home. His body hung on the wall with knives and swords through him. And next to him, in his blood, wrote: the harborer of the devil must die. The villagers killed him."

"Chants were heard in the distance and smoke filled my nostrils as our home began to burn to the ground. All I did was stand there as the building burned around me. I stared at his body in complete agony. Soon that agony turned into a burning rage."

"I walked out of the building and ferociously killed every single person in the vicinity. I never looked back after that. I went to my homeland of vampires drenched in human blood."

"I'm so sorry Freyja."

"So am I."

"Then what happened to your other lover?"

Freyja twirled the end of her hair while lookin out at the, now, night sky.

"I met my next lover a few hundred years after Dabir died. Her name was Machie."

"You dated a woman?" Hazel looked at her in question.

"Of course I did," Freyja smirked. She gently pushed Hazel down on her back and straddled on top of her. Her long hair dangled over her shoulders and tickled the young woman's face.