Chapter 25: The Result...

Author's P.O.V

"Any updates, Cyborg?" Robin asked.

"No, there was some minor damage to her brain from the subdermal chip we found. I can't even figure out if we can wake her up from the coma." He said while hacking away at his computer. Robin let out an exhausted sigh.

"How's the clean up going?" Cyborg asked him.

"Good. The city's back to the way it was, the citizens are back in their own homes and nothing turned up when we searched Slade's lair." he said as he leaned against one of the empty tables. He turned his head to look at her which pained him. She was laying almost lifeless on a table with a bunch of chords and wires connected to her body and twice attached to her head. Nothing could be heard except for the beep of the monitor which proved that she was still alive. Cyborg noticed him looking at her.

"Is all of this really necessary?" Robin asked as he gestured to all of the medical equipment attached to her.

"I'm trying to find out if she still poses a threat to us." He said, emotionless.

"Slade's gone. We checked. She has nowhere left to go." Robin said.

"That doesn't mean that she won't come after us next." He countered him.

"But-!"

"Wait, brain activity spiked...." Cyborg cut him off. They went over to her bedside to see if she regained consciousness. There was a stream of tears flowing from under the cloth covering her eyes.

"If I can't be of use, then there is no significance to my being..." She said in a whisper. They were both shocked.

"Is she...?" Robin couldn't find his words.

"No, she's still under...." Cyborg said as he checked the other monitors. Her brain waves went back to normal and they could rest easy again as they both let out a sigh of relief.

"Looks like you still care for her..." Cyborg started.

"Don't tell me you don't..." He replied, with a hint of hostility in his tone.

"Nah, dude. She doesn't need me like that." He said in defeat.

"What do you mean?" He asked him.

"You know what I'm talkin' about. But let me give you some advice, you gotta sort out your feelings, man." Cybog said as he gave Robin's back a pat. Robin blushed in embarrassment and looked away.

"Leaving them in the dark hurts more than just choosing one, bro. Either way, someone's gonna get hurt so you'd better be a man and make up your mind." He said.

"I-I know..." He replied without looking his way.

"Anyway, I gotta get back to work. What are you gonna do?" Cyborg asked him.

"I'm gonna go get fresh air..." Robin said before walking out of the room.

Robin made long, dragging foot steps as he made his way up to the roof. It was as if his body was as heavy as his thoughts. Then he noticed that he had just passed her room. He aimlessly wandered inside. Everything was fixed and back to their original places. It was nothing like how he remembered it being the last time the two of them were there. His mind wandered to that night they spent together in the darkness. They weren't doing anything special but it was the very first time he felt like he understood her. In moments like this, he doesn't understand her anymore. He doesn't even understand why she means this much to him.

He finally made his way to the roof. The sky was bright blue with a few clouds scattered about. He walked towards the edge and took a seat, letting his feet dangle from the ledge. Shortly after, Starfire had found him in his lonesome.

"There you are! We have finished the disposal of Slade's minions and restored what we could." she said as she took a seat next to him. He simply ignored her.

"Are you feeling alright? Did something horrible occur?" She asked. He raised his head and looked at her with a sad expression. Somehow at the back of her mind, she knew where their conversation was going.

"I see now." She said.

"Starfire, I-"

"There is no need for explanation, Robin. I already know what you are going to say." she said as she stood up. He looked away and lowered his head.

"But you do not need to feel the guilt." she said. He didn't understand, but when he turned to look at her, she was already crying.

"If this is the pain that comes with having a romantic relationship with you, then I do not want to take part in it." she said as tears ran down her cheeks yet she still had a smile on her face.

"I do not hold it against you if you chose to be with her instead of me. And I hope that this does not ruin the friendship that we have. I am and will still be there for you as your teammate and your friend." she said before leaving the roof. He felt numb, but he was thankful for how Starfire reacted. If she had reacted differently, he would've been drowning in guilt at the moment on top of all the mixed feelings that he has about Krystal. The clouds continued to float by and the sun began to sink into the ocean, exactly like how his heart was sinking into the pit of his stomach.