Night Out/Night In

Hey guys! I recently started working, so I took some time to get this update out to ya'll. But, I've been working little by little everyday on it, so don't worry. Hope you guys enjoy! Lemme know if you like the direction that the story is going in. 

 Night out/Night in

Shivaay was hard at work at the secluded desktop of his office when he felt the little poke in his heart that the doctor had warned about. He put his hand on his heart where the poke hurt and then massaged it before letting the pain fizzle out into a dull ache. Then taking a baby Aspirin, he stopped and leaned back in his chair. He looked at his reflection in the mirror. In front of him was a five foot eight guy in his late twenties casually swiveling in his chair. It was the same person in all these years that he had seen himself yet something was amiss. His eyes which were normally bright and charming were now droopy and intense and the upbeat pump that usually sounded in his office slowly morphed into a lingering sadness. He didn't know why he felt so anxious about the surgery tomorrow. After all, it was just surgery and it was a simple procedure that would save him many trips to the hospital. It wouldn't be that bad. He thought.

But that wasn't what was bothering him. Instead it was the incapability of a certain Annika that had his temper flare up suddenly in the office. Why the hell was she in charge of his procedures and his surgery? And why was she allowed to know secrets that had been personal to him and him only. His condition was hard enough as it is, but knowing that his arch-nemesis knew about his weakest spot made him feel cold and vulnerable. Thank god she is not the one doing my surgery. I would die, literally and figuratively, he sighed stretching before getting back to work.

The phone rang then putting yet another interruption into his addendum of things to do. Grumbling, he picked up the phone and muttered a non-committal 'Hello'.

"Mr. Randhawa, this is Dr. Annika speaking from Marin General Hospital. I am calling to confirm your appointment with Dr. Peterson and the surgery for tomorrow."

And Shivaay had had enough for the day.

"Shut up. You being a part of this team isn't enough that now, you have to call me about it at work?"

He heard her take a deep breath over the phone before she replied. "Shivaay, I'm just doing what I'm supposed to do. Why are you so mad at me about it?"

Why was he mad? he thought. He had the congenital heart defect since he was born and his accident had been caused by a careless motorcyclist not Annika. She had had no hand in his undoing. Instead, she had every hand in his well-being. She was his go-to doctor for his meds, his daily check-ups, weekly appointments and his surgical doubts. Then what about her made him so mad? He sighed.

"I'm - uh - sorry. I'm just a little stressed about my surgery tomorrow. It's not as simple as you made it seem right?" he asked like a small child afraid to confront the truth.

Annika didn't answer. She just took a deep breath and nodded through the phone. And when she heard no response, she realized he couldn't see her.

"Shivaay, don't worry. The whole team is very good at what they do. If they weren't then you wouldn't be spending 30 grand on this surgery. And.....I'll be there."

Shivaay chuckled rolling his eyes. "Trust you remember how much money I'm spending on my surgery. But - thanks. I'll see you tomorrow."

With that the phone clicked shut and Shivaay leaned back in his chair with half a smile on his face. In the background of his office, the slow annoying jazz music faded and on came Backstreet Boys with their classic beat for clap that pumped his spirits up. Maybe he hadn't changed after all. Maybe things were going to be okay once the surgery got done tomorrow.