Chapter 8- Tremble

Chapter 8- Tremble

Wednesday, July 5th, 2006 02:03pm

Hermione leaned over the railing to get a better view of the Elephants grazing in the distance. She was trying everything she could to not give into the temptation to talk about her feelings with Jason, but she kept feeling his eyes watching her, like she would break any moment.

She couldn't explain what happened with the Lion, not because Jason was a muggle, but because she herself didn't know what happened. The experience was all new to her and she had never encountered any magic like it before. Sure she had felt like her loved ones, who perished during the Battle of Hogwarts, were somehow watching over her, but that experience with the large cat was so different, unique, and very strange. There had to be an explanation and the one person she knew might have the answer, was back in England, still grieving over the loss of their twin.

Stepping back slightly while still holding onto the railing, Hermione sighed as she tried to concentrate on the on the animals before her with little use. She just couldn't get the Lion out of her head. More so however, she couldn't get the ideas of how her future was going to look, if Draco couldn't accept their child.

"I really think you should let me grab Draco for you." Jason cut in on her thoughts as he leaned on the railing with his elbows and looked out to the vast open enclosure.

"I don't want him."

"Why not?" he asked turning his head to her "Maybe he could help out figure out what happened with the Lion."

"That isn't why I don't want him." she stated a little somber.

"Hermione, I don't mean to pry but you don't seem to be having any fun here and you don't want your husband. If you would rather just go, then we can go, and you can figure all your issues out with him. I don't want to drag you around the whole rest of the zoo if you are not feeling up to it."

"No...No, I don't want to leave. I am enjoying myself it's just...oh I don't know, things between Draco and I...it's complicated and no matter how much I want to fix it, I can't. I can't do anything because everything rests on his decision."

Jason raised a brow in curiosity and Hermione felt she said too much. She turned back to look at the Elephants and licked her lips before folding in her bottom one. Jason took a second as he continued to look at her before continuing the conversation.

"Is it because he doesn't want children?" he finally spoke, in a kind manner.

Hermione's head snapped to him in shock and her eyes grew wide in confusion.

"How did-how did you know that?" she asked as she searched his face for any sign of a tell.

Jason pinched his lips together and nodded his head slightly before turning back to the enclosure.

"I took a guess, but it wasn't hard to figure out." He turned his head back to her "When I asked you about having children, you looked extremely sad and on the verge of tears while Draco, well his whole body tensed up. I could see the look in his eyes that he was scared."

Hermione's jaw quivered slightly as she tried to hold back the tears trying to reform in her eyes. She should have been more surprised at anyone knowing her personal business, but realized that she and Draco were both pretty bad at hiding their reactions when asked.

"You're pregnant...aren't you?" he asked softheartedly when she didn't say anything. "That is the decision you are waiting on him to make?"

Hermione took in a small breath and nodded her head before letting it out slowly; still unsure of what to say.