Chapter 6- Broken

Chapter 6- Broken

Tuesday, July 4th, 2006 11:42pm

The room continued to shake as Draco held on to Hermione like it was the last thing he would ever do. The violent quake brought them to the floor and is scared him more than anything in his life. The earthquake only lasted for about fifteen seconds, but it felt like forever to him.

Sitting with his back against the bed, Draco held Hermione as tight as he could; frozen in fear and refusing to let go as he stared ahead at nothing. The traumatic memories of when Malfoy Tech. was hit, raced through his mind and it was the only thing he could focus on. He thought he was over the PTSD the healers at St. Mungo diagnosed him with. Apparently, he was wrong.

"Draco." Hermione whispered into his chest. "Draco, I can't breathe, please let go of me."

Snapping partially out of his trance, Draco released his hold on her and Hermione sucked in a deep breath. He didn't even realize he was holding on to her so tightly. All he knew was how terrified he was.

"Draco..." Hermione began as she lightly touched his arm. "Are you okay?

Completely breaking from his trance, Draco startled at her touch.

"What...the fuck...was that?"

"An...an earthquake." she claimed calmly.

Draco turned his head to her and furrowed his brows.

"An earthquake? A bloody earthquake? You said this city wasn't on that fault-thing! How the fuck did an earthquake just happen?" he stated in anger.

"Well there are smaller fault lines around the area. I didn't think they would shift to the extent that they just did."

"You didn't- You didn't think? Are you kidding me!" he stated as he moved to stand up.

"I'm sorry. I didn't know they could get that strong." Hermione reached out a hand to touch him again.

Flinching away from her, Draco placed a hand on his forehead and began walking out to the balcony.

"Just...don't. I have had enough surprises of one day."

Opening the balcony doors, he stepped out and leaned over the railing. Taking in a deep breath he lifted his head and looked out to the dark black ocean that seemed completely unfazed by the shaking of the earth just moments ago.

Draco could hear Hermione bustling about in the bedroom behind him as she used her wand to fix the broken and fallen furniture. Ignoring her, he looked back to the ocean and lowered his head. A few minutes later, Hermione walked up next to him and he could practically feel the holes burning into his skin from her stare.

"What?" he stated in annoyance.

"Are you okay?"

Draco snapped his head up and gave Hermione a sour look.

"Do I look okay to you? What the bloody hell kind of question is that?"

Hermione lowered her head and turned to rest her arms on the railing.

"I'm sorry...for today. For everything. I guess the muggle saying is true; when it rains, it pours." She turned her head to him and let out a small sigh. "Can we...can we just start over?"

Letting out a breath through his nose, Draco backed away from the railing and took a seat on one of the patio chairs sitting behind him. He lowered his head to hands as he rested his elbows on his knees.

"I don't know, Hermione. I want to forget this day ever happened but too much shit just went down."

Hermione positioned her body to face him as her face fell to sadness.