Chapter 20: The Heart and The Eyes

Carmi had not been in contact with Hazel. She doesn't want to think about it for now. Good thing that Hazel also wasn't nagging her like crazy. But it didn't last for a while. The day of the book signing arrived. And Carmi, although she doesn't want to see Hazel, needed to because apparently, she's still her boss.

"Okay, so I already informed the mall staff and our staff. You will have your lunch break at 12:00 noon and you will resume at 1:00 p.m sharp until 6 o'clock. Alam niyo naman na ang gagawin niyo so goodluck and congratulations," sabi ni Hazel. She looked at Carmi but the latter turned away. Sighing, she got the staffs ready so the event will already take place.

Carmi was ecstatic. She didn't know that there were people who keeps on supporting her in every way they can. As much as possible, chinichika niya ng kaunti ang mga nagpapapirma sa kaniya. Bahagya niya itong tinatanong kung ano ang nagustuhan nila sa libro ni Carmi o kung bakit nila ito sinusuportahan. She was way beyond happy with their answers! It motivated her enough to keep writing. To keep on doing what Carmi loves the most. Her co-writers seemed to be enjoying as well. Marami rin kasi ang mga nagpapapirma sa kanila.

When lunch break came, Carmi told her fans to keep themselves at bay. She was already famished that's why she can't really help herself to stop the signing for a while.

Sa panananghalian nila, agad na tumabi si Carmi sa isang ka-close na katrabaho. She never gave Hazel a chance to be near her, much as well, to be able to talk to her. Ayaw kasing masira ni Carmi ang kaniyang mood. She was beyond happy this time kaya hindi niya hahayaang masira iyon ni Hazel.

Nang matapos kumain, naging abala ulit ang lahat sa pagpapatuloy ng event. Carmi went back to her table and started signing books that were owned by her fans. Paminsan-minsan niya rin itong tinatanong para may interaction naman sa mga readers niya.

"What's your name, sweetie?" nakangiting tanong niya.

"Alysia po! Alam niyo Miss Carmi sobrang fan na fan niyo po talaga ako! I wanted to be a writer rin po, hopefully," sabi ni Alysia.

"Bakit may hopefully pa? If you love writing, then write. Don't dwell on what others keep on saying to you."

"Kasi po I get this feeling na I won't be successful if I pursued it. Hindi ako magiging katulad mo, Miss Carmi, kaya natatakot po ako."

"I know what's your problem," tugon ni Carmi.

"Po?"

"You're setting your standards on me. As much as I am flattered that you wanted to be me, you can't set me as you standard. You won't grow on that. But rather, try surpassing me. That way, alam mo na may goal ka."

Nakangiting umalis ang dalaga habang bitbit ang librong pinirmahan ni Carmi.

She knew that feeling before. Even now, kapag naaalala niya ang sinabi sa kaniya ng guro, she still felt like shit. She felt like a sunflower within a bouquet of roses. It still tampers her spirit though. Hindi niya nga lang pinapakita.

There was this instance at high school. Carmi was already at her fourth year and was about to enter a college university. She was anxious for the past months since that was the start of endless entrance exams taking. Then one day, her teacher, who was dear to her since she also acted as her role model asks the whole class where they were going to study for college and what course would they take.