Ch.10: Distance

Definition:
Distant[adjective]: far away in space or time.

^•^

The sun is rising, slowly bringing light into the world. The tree branches move as the cold breeze hits it, making it move back and forth like a rocking chair.

By this time Josh had already read through all of Rose's letters from 2011 to the end of 2015. They are not that important since Rose just write about their daily life.

She would say that Josh took great care of her and how he would hug her from the back in the morning, while she makes breakfast.

She would go on about how he would always kiss her in the morning, not caring about her morning breath and how he would always lingered around a bit longer than necessary because he didn't want to go to work.

At night, he would hug her tightly, his arms wrap around her frame and there legs intertwined.

It makes him happy, to see that his wife love him very much and that she love the little things he did for her.

^•^

It's been three days, Josh locked himself in his house. Today he finally let himself free, and went to the hospital to visit Rose.

For the rest of the day, he didn't do anything and just stayed with her, intertwining her fingers with his. He didn't know what to do or say so he must silently looked at her fragile state.

The doctor said that her chance of wake up from her coma was 20% which is low but possible. He said that there are many people who suffer the same thing as her but is able to wake up.

^•^

After the hospital visit, Josh's routine went back to normal. He went back to work and sort out all of his things that was left out when he was not around.

After a long day of work, everything went back to normal. Nothing was out of place. Before he returned home to continue reading the letters he took a trip back to the hospital and stayed there with Rose for a few hours.

Once he finished showering and changed his clothes, he walked back to the drawer and pull out another stack of paper.

On it labeled 2016.

Dear Josh,
March 13, 2016

I felt more distant from you.

It started back in February when you would call me and told me that you have lots of work to take care of. And that you won't be able to make it home on time.

So I just ate dinner and went to bed first. It was cold, since you're not here with me that night.

I don't know what time you had returned home but it's pretty late at night. When I woke up at 3am in the morning to make a trip to the bathroom, you were here with me. Your arms, wrapped around my waist like usual. I was happy you came back and glad that you didn't forget about me.

The next day it happened again. And again and again. It kept going until you eventually stopped coming back home.

I wrote this letter late at night, waiting for you.

I remember around two weeks ago you didn't call me to say you were coming home late.

I got excited because it'll be the first time in a while for you to have dinner with me. I wanted it to be surprise for you.

That night, I prepared a special dinner for us. I set up the tables, I cooked the food, I lit up the candles. I dress in my best looking dress, wearing make up. Just so I could look beautiful for our dinner night.

But you never came. I waited all night. The clock was ticking from 7pm to 8pm. From 12am to 2am. From 4am to 7am.

I told myself that night that you will be here soon. Perhaps maybe traffic jam? When the clock hits 11 pm I knew you would be coming home late. I thought you were so busy you forgot to let me know.

But I didn't let my effort goes to waste and I waited for another few hours. The food was already cold. The candle melt down and my hair and make up was a mess. At one point, I even felt asleep on the table.

I thought you were just being late but  I was wrong. You didn't return at all. At the time my thoughts were that you were busy and wouldn't be able to returned home on time.

7am hits and the door finally unlocked. You were standing their looking tired. Your hair was messy and your clothes were wrinkled.

By this time I had already change my clothes and cleared up the table. I never told you what happened that day, considering you were tired.

You just came home, get changed, and said sorry to me for not coming back home.

"Why didn't you call me?"

"Babe I'm sorry, I forgot. There was a lot of work. Also I think I won't be able to come back tonight." You pecked me on the lips and go back to your office.

Before leaving, you yelled a goodbye from the door and closed the door shut.

I didn't think too much. But I'll be lying if I said I wasn't upset about you not coming home. I'll be lying if I said wasn't mad at you for making me wait. But I let it slide since you are working hard for our family.

[To be continue]