Chapter Eleven

Harry POV
I first came to Marbella after Toby, a very good friend of mine died. I was in a really dark place, life didn't make sense. I kept thinking, how can a person who looks perfectly fine on the outside be so sick? How can a monster, like Toby's cancer, live inside his body and eat his way through his intestines, bones and tissue without being noticed? I blamed myself for not being alert enough, maybe there were signs and I didn't see them. I should have pushed him harder to go to the doctor when he got persistent knee pains. But it's useless to think about it now, when the battle is lost.

It was my best friend since childhood, Jonas who asked me to visit him here in Marbella and it was the best thing I ever did. I fell in love with the beach and the sea, especially because I have an excellent view of it from the house. But also the natural landscapes, I can go for a walk in the mountains and even after all these years find a new treasures. The old town, the golf courses, water sports... I love it all.
But especially it's people, the Marbelleros are my favourite people in the world. They are cheerful, friendly and kind. And most importantly, I found inner peace again, I learned to deal with my grief. I still miss Toby every day but I know he would be proud because he told me to follow my heart and that's exactly what I did.

Jonas and I have been living together for years now and it's going well. We know each others good qualities and also our bad sides, things what annoys us. Of course over the years we've gotten into fights but after we yelled at each other and slammed some doors we always managed to talk about it like grown ups.

I've have dated some women since I moved here, especially during the summer when lots of tourists are here. I had some one night stands but sex without feelings is not really my kind of thing, I have to at least feel something for the other person. So I had some short flings but it never lasted, she was always too serious or too immature or she wanted too much too soon, there always was some reason to end it but if I'm really honest with myself I have to admit that they just couldn't live up to the girl I had to leave behind eleven years ago. I loved her since we were teenagers and I still love her. I know I can't have her, but if she is happy I am okay with that. I thought I had it all figured out, I was content and happy with my life but then one night she literally bumped into me and she unknowingly messed up everything.

I open the back door of the house so the chilly sea breeze can flow around it before plugging my earbuds into my phone and checking that everything is ready to go for a jog. I go for a run at least three times a week, at the moment I prefer to go in the early morning because there aren't as many people laying on the beach and it's not as warm. I take my bottle of water from the counter and take a swig when my best friends sister comes downstairs.

Ever since we were kids her presence takes my breath away every time I see her. Her strawberry blond hair is pulled back in a high ponytail, she isn't wearing any make-up but she doesn't need it, she is a natural beauty with a warm beige skin, cute freckles on her cheeks and beautiful pink lips and the black shorts and a pink top that she is wearing perfectly shows all her curves.

"Hi Evelin, do you maybe want to join me for a run?" I ask her while she walks to the fridge but she glares at me like I have offended her.

"No, Harry!" she says visually irritated by me. "I don't want to go for a run with you. I wish I could run far away from you." To make sure I know she means what she says she looks at me while she speaks, her perfect almond shaped eyes are burning into my green ones. It almost makes me feel uncomfortable. I have to admit her cold attitude towards me hurts more than it should. I don't really understand her behaviour, one minute she is kind and sweet, like the girl she always was and the next she is this ice queen who will turn you into an ice sculpture if you say one word to her.

"You don't have to be rude, Eve. You can just say no thank you." I walk to the laundry room to take my yellow running shoes from the black shoe cabinet and go back into the kitchen where I start to put them on. I know I should keep mouth shut but I can't, her moods going back and forth are giving me a whiplash.