Chapter 18: Epilogue

STAR

I wake up to a bright light beaming down on top of me. Coughing, I pull a tube from my mouth and nearly throw up into it. I roll my head, side to side until I can finally focus on something.
I'm in a hospital?
I sit up but then I wince in pain. My back, it was burning. I reach back slowly until my hand hits a huge burn, I think, on my back.
"Ouch!" I say loudly. "What the hell happened!?"
The door suddenly bursts open and in rushes a boy with brown hair and tanned skin. He stops only when he hits my bed and has tears in his eyes.
"Oh my god you're okay!" He yells, beaming.
"Yeah I-" I look between the heart rate monitor and him. "What happened?"
The kid opens his mouth, then closes it. Then again. Then one more time before he says, "A car accident."
"Oh I-" holding my head, I try to recall whatever happened. "I guess I remember something like that."
"Do you remember me?"
"I- wait yeah!" I smile while he braces himself for the worst. "Marco I live with you..." I try to recall more.
"Yeah!" Marco smiles half heartedly. "Yeah yeah you do."
"This is embarrassing." I admit. "Why do I live with you."
Marco, again, opens his mouth and closes it. Once more. One last time. He finally settles and says, "You're parents... your dad died in the line of battle and your mom said giving you up was the hardest thing she had to do." He meets my suspicions eye. "I mean that's what they told the orphanage. She - your mom - gave you up for adoption when you were little you've been... you've been living with us since you were little."
I smile brightly. "That's so cool! So we're like brother and sister?"
He nods, nearly crying. "Yeah, Star. We are."
"Star?" I laugh to myself. "I don't think that's my name."
He chuckles a bit and wipes his eyes. "Yeah of course it's not. No uh yeah you're name is Scarlet. Star's just my nickname for you."
"I like it." I smile closed lipped at him. "I like the nickname."
"Okay." His voice is distant and choked up. "Okay Star yeah. Let's get a doctor in here."
He leaves and I lean back in my bad, my back burning. I turn to my left to see the monitor and notice two bandaids places perfectly over my cheeks. Besides my back, my cheeks and my amnesia, it would seem pretty unlikely I was in car accident.
I sigh and smile, it's good to be alive.

MARCO

I had to hold the wall to keep myself upright but even that didn't help. I fell to my knees, trying my best to breathe normally.
I killed Star Butterfly.
I close my eyes. C'mon Marco, you knew this would happen. You used Jackie's death to bring Star back. You used Moon to get Star back. You basically made her mom erase any knowledge of her existence. You doomed an entire kingdom, bringing it into an era of war for the throne. You erased her mourning her fathers death. You erased you tried to kill her. You destroyed her and she doesn't even know it.
But hey, at least she's alive.
The doctors redo Star's bandages and she flashes yet another smile at me. I hide my hand as we leave the hospital. My mom's waiting downstairs and like the rest of the universe, she doesn't remember who Star really is. No one does but me. I'd begged Moon to take my memory too, that Id do anything to forget it all and that it would destroy me. But all she did was look at me, up and down and spit "Good."
My - Star's and my - parents throw her in a hug and tell her they missed her and that she should never get into a car with a drunk driver with someone again.
That someone was Jackie, in this timeline Jackie died in a car crash, not Star brutally murdering her.
I could feel my body heating up while sitting in the car. Star was asking a million questions, obsessed with overcoming her amnesia. The guilt was slowly killing me. I began to pick at my scar on my hand until it was a bloody mess.
I killed Star I killed Star I killed Star.
But hey,
At least she's alive.

STAR

That night I couldn't sleep.
Maybe it was because of the amnesia or maybe it was being grossed out by Marco's bloody hand but either way I wasn't going to fall asleep.
I turned on my lamp. My room was different than I remembered, or how I imagined. I remember it being grander, not just a twin bed, a few book shelves, a desk, a closet and a tv. It was boring, I needed to spruce it up some day.
I get up and wonder over to my desk which is neat. I might have some amnesia but I can't imagine I was an organized person. Pulling out a purple notebook, I began to wonder why everything felt off. This didn't feel like home, this felt like I was visiting. Like I was meant to be somewhere else.
I open the notebook to two hundred pages of blank nothingness. Like, no doodles or anything to give me clues about myself. It was just blank, unlike my brain that was racing. There was so much going on up there, so many questions and so many thoughts I couldn't even think them. They were just scrambled, illegible to even me.
I grab a pen from the cup and click it. It's pink ink, which is pretty neat.
I touch the tip to the page and write the first thing that came to my head.
"Long long ago in a magical kingdom of..."
I click it a few times, thinking of a fantastical name I could use.
"... Mewny-"
Wait no.
"... Mewni,"
Perfect.
"There lived a magical princess..."
I need a cute name. Something light but also badass.
"Star Butterfly."
I chuckle. Marco would love that I used his nickname.
"Some people would call me reckless and irresponsible just because I fight monsters! And tame wild unicorns!"
I click the pen some more. Why did I start writing in the first person?
I decide to keep it.
And well into the night I wrote about Star Butterfly and her magical adventures. I didn't mean to, but the idea was so crystal clear in my head, like it was the only thing in focus. The only thing I could remember.
I reread some of the parts I wrote as soon as the sun peers through my window.
Wow, it would be cool to be Star Butterfly.

FINISHING THIS BOOK WAS JUST FOR ME BC IT WAS ANNOYING ME AND I LIKED THE STORY SO IF YOU MADE IT THIS FAR WOW GOOD JOB YOURE AWESOME!
IF YOU DIDNT MAKE IT THIS FAR HOW ARE YOU READING THIS??
IM NOT COMING BACK TO WATTPAD OR ANYTHING BUT I MIGHT UPDATE MY OTHER BOOKS SPORADICALLY OR SMTH
HAHA
COOL
WOLFIE