Untitled Artwork - Part 2

The lights bounced off the glitter and gold of the fancy dresses and accessories of the rich on board. Katya fiddled her hands as she waited for people to come by her art corner. She saw Trixie in her dazzling ball gown. Of course, it was pink and sparkly and the dress hugged her chest tightly. Katya felt herself staring and looked away in embarrassment.

"Ma'am? Ma'am!"

Katya's head snapped up in realization. There was a woman waving a stack of cash in her face.

"Are you gonna paint me or not?"

Katya shakily nodded and took the stack of cash while she directed the woman to sit down on the stool. The paint brush expertly ran over the canvas, painting with the red, blues, and purples.

After painting for a few hours, Katya was tired, but people were still waiting in line. She was about to accept another few hundred dollars until a ball of pink bounced into view.

"Katya!" Trixie was waving frantically at her. She looked up from her customer. Trixie apologized to the customer, but then proceeded to pull Katya from her stool and off to the side.

"I-I know you're tired and all, but- but I just wanted to ask you if you wanted to dance with me, y-y'know... on the dance floor," Trixie stuttered out. Katya gave an unsure look and looked at the exasperated expression that the customer had.

"I..."

Katya looked at the desperate look on Trixie's face, but she knew that she couldn't leave her station.

"I, I can't, I'm sorry Trixie, " She answered as she walked back to her stool and the agitated customer. Trixie gave a deep frown, but collected herself from crying. This was the only time that her father wasn't looking and she could actually talk to a girl that she was interested in. Trixie just stood there until she felt a hand tap her shoulder, it was one of the boys from one of the rich families. The one that her father wanted her to marry. Trixie gave a false sweet smile and took his outstretched hand.

Katya watched from the corner of her eye, her heart aching that she refused the proposal, but she needed the money, it was the only thing keeping her alive.

~

Trixie sighed. The party ended and everyone was back in their cabins except for the occasional servant that was cleaning the spilt champagne and dirty plates. She fiddled with the pink tulle on her dress while she stared up at the painting that Katya did earlier.

"I only paint what I see."

Katya's words echoed in her head, and it made a smile spread across her face. Even just the thought of her made her heart flutter, Trixie wasn't a believer of love at first sight, but this might be the only time she'd change her mind.

~~~~

a/n - I'm sorry that this was so short, times have been super busy and I haven't been able to write for a while :((