More changes

Tired of the life i began to settle into i set to discover myself more. It had been a few months since i had done anything outside a dull loop of life.. Things were as life was but i wasn't living.

In the summer heat all the windows were open. I lay sprawled on the floor in my thin morning tea gown. 
"Perhaps i will go for a swim in the night?"
Alicia had been visiting for a week or so, staying in my spare room.
"Well i had been hoping to go out tonight anyhow. Its the buck moon tonight and i wanted to collect some moon waters."
I nodded then tilted my head in inquiry as i fanned myself with a sheet of paper.
"Is that a witch thing?"
"Yes, the moon water can be used for spells of all sorts. Like protection, beauty, fertility or really anything you feel needs an umpf from the moon."

I lay and pondered on this while we waited for the sun to go down and the world to cool. Soon we gathered a bag with fresh veggies to snack on and headed to the river.
"So, Alicia, how do you be a witch?"
She took a minute to answer my question as she had never been asked such a thing.
"well.. gran says everybody has a power in them but generational witches like she and i are more powerful. There are so many ways to practice. Some are with gods or none at all. There is a deity or a few that is best for everyone."
"Well, what about if someone wants to worship the gods but not much of the craft?"
"That would be perfectly fine. What would you be hoping to worship? What qualities do you want to better and represent?"
I sat on the bank, half in the water and looked to the stars as i normally did when thinking. I felt the cool water tug my dress down current like a child wanting my attention.
"Hm.. i always tried to learn all i could as to one day be a mother type figure. Even if not to my own children."
Alicia moved to another rock as to gently kick the current.
"I think in that case Ceres would be one you could connect with. She is the goddess of agriculture and the motherly relationship. She was said to have lived through her daughter so you can pray and do by her as she would want."
"Wow you sure do know a lot about these things!"
She laughed with a joyful grin spreading.
"Gran makes me read about it all so i may become a better witch and follow a good path."
"It is very helpful though!"

The next few months i worshiped and sent my offerings to an altar Alicia helped me build. I sat before it and held my hands in my lap while i silently proclaimed i would be a vessel for her if she so needed. From here on i was to continue to help those with gardens and help guide others in a path of self betterment. 

In the months that followed this, i began to notice nothing at all changed in my life. I still did as i normally did.
"Oh mama?"
"Yes dear?"
I leaned against the counter at which she knead dough for some bread. She worked smooth and calmly in her usual way.
"I began to find myself religiously to change and better myself. But.. nothing has changed."
Moominmama placed the dough in the oven and wiped her hands clean.
"Well do you feel different?"
"I suppose.. But i wanted to help people more and be a better person."
She guided me to the veranda, out where a flower perfumed breeze swept gently.
"Its fact, Kestret, that nobody is perfect but you help so much. From the beginning you were here to help out with house keeping and were more than willing to learn gardening."
I sat back and sighed gently.
"I just thought something would change in my life if i worshiped a goddess that represented these things.."
Moominmama took my hand that was resting on the table and looked at me with that motherly gaze.
"Maybe all you needed was a change inside yourself. Sometimes the biggest changes are made in your heart."
I smiled wide and felt tears well up along with a knot in my throat.
"Well, i have felt a lot freer and content once i found something to believe in.. Thank you mama!"

When i had set out for the night moominmama gave me a big hug while i thanked her for this revelation. 

Sometimes all you need is a little faith to help you be a better person. The most powerful changes begin in your heart.