Domestic preparation

Now a couple months with Kiviä the land begins to cool. Today we got the first snow of the year. I notice i am now very tired like the other creatures. This is something mama tells me comes with being a creature of this land. I dont have the spare bedding to keep Kiviä wam in his own cradel so i shall place him next to myself when we hybernate. Untill the season is in full swing i and many others are scurrying about tying up loose ends and finishing stocking food for next spring.

I dress my baby in the warmest i can find and we go for a walk in the now barren garden. While out it begins to flurry. Large snowflakes fall around and one lands on  Kiviäs nose. I do so look forward to all the time i may spend with him. Such a surprise it is to now have a child. Though tough i am prepared to do my best with him. Out of the corner of my eye i see a somewhat familiar form approach from the treeline.
"Hello Joxter."
He sidles up into a row next to mine in the garden and sniffs at the baby.
"Hello, since when did you have a baby?"
"Since i sailed to the riviera."
Kiviä managed to get a tiny paw out from the blanket and yank the Joxters scarf.
"who is the father?"
I gently release the childs paw from Joters scarf and ensure the swaddling is still secure.
"Oh i dont know. I found him among the rocks you see"
Joxter stands far enough from the baby that he wont grab his scarf again and inspects him. Kiviä coos, making Joxter whiskers twitch curiously.
"I see... Actually, no i dont.. Where do babies come from?"
My eyes grow wide at the question.
"Dont you have a son?"
He stands straight and tilts his head at me.
"That boy in green? I wondered why he looked like me. But that doessnt answer my query. "
It is now my turn to tilt my head in confusion at him. How does one have a whole biological child and not know how it got here.
"Well, you see, when two people love eachother very muc-"
He becomes eager and interupts my explanation.
"So it happens spontaniously when you have a spark in your heart with someone? Just by being in the same room as them?"
This is not quite a book for this talk and i am to perplexed to take this as seriously as i normally would.
"Yes something like that."
His eyes go wide and his tail flicks. Joxter comes and sniffs the baby once more before trotting off excitedly- or excitement is how i take the reaction.

Left alone in the plot of the harvested once more i take a deep breath and kiss all over my sons tiny face.
"You are my little sweetpea, you know that? My heart is evergreen as a fir tree with you in my life! Yes it is!"
Kiviä laughs a great deal at my chatter while i carry him back into the warm indoors.
"Would the baby like a ba-ba? say ba-ba??"
He is yet to say his first word but it cant hurt coaxing him with simple things.
"a! ba!"
"Ohhh so close my little bit!"
I tie on an apron and prepare a nice warm bottle as well as reheating a meat pie for myself. Once done i take the child in my arms after unswaddling him partially and laying a rag over my shoulder. He eagerly suckles at the air as the nipple comes closer to his mouth. Taking the first gulp with an "mnf.."

Soon after finihing most of the bottle i burp him with minimal spitup before changing his diaper. He will likely sleep for the entire trip to moomin house and, with luck, through the supper i will be atending there.  I place Kiviä in a cradleboard and lace him in carefully. Next i prepare the beeswax diaper bag with extra cloth diapers, a fresh bottle, clean clothing for both of us and a glass dropper bottle with a tea to soothe Kiviäs teething.

The sun is now just past noon so i snuf out the alters candle, place a bonnet on Kiviä and set out for the evening. I hum a soft tune to the sleeping baby as i grin widely. This is my, no, our new life. Not too long ago i was not happy and felt so alone. I drowned and suddenly im in my true home. So many kind souls have helped me build my place here. I pray merrily to my goddess, thanking her for what i have now. We are home now, no matter where in the valley, we are home.

Just as this thought completes, Moomin house comes into view. I wave my paw above my head and adjust Kiviäs bonnet. By the time i land on the front step there is already food and drink set for me at the table. I take Kiviä off of my back and lay him in his cradleboard on the sofa and sit down to eat.
"Thank you all for having me. Thank you for the meal."
Mama takes her seat last and straightens her apron before digging in as well.
"Of course my child we all must get fat to remain warm during our slumber."

Well into the meal i hear a rustle and bump ouside the front door.