Chapter 10 My Girl

JAKE

Classes goes by really fast, I sit at lunch with Haylie writing in one of my notebooks, a poem, she's hasn't said anything and neither have I, I don't know why she isn't saying anything but I know why I'm not, maybe she's still a little surprised about earlier, maybe she didn't want me to find out about how things were for her in her last foster home, maybe that's why she never bother to mentioned it, considering all the things that me and her have talked about in the pass weeks " what is he doing here, he doesn't have this lunch" I said trying not to sound jealous already and she turn around to see who I'm going on about and she smiles when she sees that it's him, he sit next to her when he's close enough " oh hey Jake, I did not know that you would be here." " I thought you had first lunch." I say but I don't say it in a way that would make it sound like I'm jealous to him too, even though I'm really jealous right now, Jordan just came out of nowhere and suddenly he had a romantic past with the girl that I now has a thing for and the worst part about it is that his dad can't get in their way this time, well the worst part for me at least " I'm skipping, I had to see you." and Haylie ask with her face pupping out red blood of blushes " so how did you know to skip to this lunch directly?" " because I have first lunch, I've been through second lunch already and I laterally looked everywhere and you wasn't there and so I figured that you would be here." he says and I want to tell him to go away, that I need time alone with her but I don't, that would make also look extremely disparate " here I am, you found me." Haylie says as if him skipping, missing class just to look for her at lunch is so romantic, as if I couldn't do something better, way better than that " I wanted to see you one more time today because I won't see you after school, I'm staying for basket ball practice." " so you play for both the football team and the basket ball team?" and he shake his head " I'm proud of you." " thanks beautiful lady." wow playing In two sport teams is something to be so proud of " I thought you said you would help join a sport team Jordan." and he stop to look at me the moment I say that, as if he need a few seconds to search for that certain memory " that was weeks ago, I thought you didn't liked the idea." And I totally agree, I didn't but didn't is used for past not present " I didn't but something changed my mind yesterday, wanted to tell you but I didn't see you." " I'll see what I can do for you" and he turn back to her " so I heard you got a phone now, so can I get your number?" " No give me your number instead because I don't know mine yet." and he start to give it to her while still smiling at what she just said about not knowing her phone number yet, I see Katline talking to her friend as she's walking towards the cafeteria's entrance doors suddenly, when I turn not to look at them " I'll be back." " ok man." he answers as if he just couldn't wait for me to say that I was leaving him alone with her. I rush to catch up to Katline even so " hey Katline wait up!" she doesn't hear me but one of her friends does, she look back and then tap Katline and she says something, Katline stop and looks back and sees that it's me, I run a little just to be save, just to be there " hey." " hey Jake." it's not just Haylie I have all my even day classes with only, Katline and her ex also and from what I hear, he's trying to get back with her because he's nominated for homecoming and needs her to win votes, I hear that the school voted them as best couple last year, I also hear that they won homecoming queen and king last year too " I have my phone." " oh how great, but what does has to do with why you called me." she ask and she turn to look at her friends who stays quiet and is just observing " you're single at the moment and I was just wondering if you'd like to hang out sometimes?" and I take my new phone out of my pocket, not just to get her number, to also show off because it's my first iPhone and to let her know that I won't take "no" for an answer " I want to get to know you first." she answers and I have to admit, it surprises me, why would a girl like Katline needs to get to know a guy before dating them, I didn't picture her for that type of girl, " here take my number instead " she says " tonight I'll pick you up at 8:30 and I'll take you out to eat, I'll see where it goes from there." and she give me the little piece of paper with her name in read ink and her number in blue, so does the cheerleaders each have little piece of papers with their numbers saved in their purses and bags for whenever anyone ask because Katline just open her bag and took out the paper and give to me without looking at it. I turn back to walk back to where I was siting with Haylie and she and Jordan isn't there anymore, I wonder where could they have gone.