5

Monday morning came early - earlier than every other Monday morning usually did.  She'd stayed up much later than usual on a Sunday night and was feeling a bit tired and uninspired about being at work.

As she put her key in the lock and twisted it, she reminded herself that she had obligations outside of her new and promising preoccupation.

The phone began ringing shortly after she'd arrived and grumpy-looking attorneys soon filed in, complaining that there wasn't any coffee or tea made yet.

"God forbid they have to make their own tea," she grumbled under her breath as she waited for the printer to spit out the case notes she'd transcribed Friday before leaving.

She hadn't even had time to text Draco all morning, and by lunchtime, she'd nearly had it.

She'd been there for five years and as the firm had grown, more help hadn't come.  More and more had been asked of her, though her pay hadn't increased.  More than anything, the way she was treated had been enough to get her thinking about a change.

When she stepped outside and began walking to a nearby cafe for a late lunch, she decided to call him, already knowing that just hearing his voice would make her feel better.

Her voice must have sounded as upset as she felt.  He immediately asked what was wrong and she began filling him in on the harsher-than-usual morning.

"Take some deep breaths and have yourself something to eat.  I'm out here at the manor outside the city a good ways or I'd come and get you."

"I have to go back in an hour.  You wouldn't have time to come all the way over here anyway, not with midday traffic."

"I wouldn't make it in time to have lunch with you but I would get there in time to watch as you tell them to go fuck themselves."

"Draco, some of us have to work.  How you live is not how most of us live."

"You mentioned that your parents left you a little money on the drive home last night, and that you didn't know what you wanted to do with it.  You want a change, so it seems like a no brainer.  Why don't you make a change now?"

"I haven't even decided where I want to move, let alone what I want to do."

"Alright, since you aren't keen on taking me up on my suggestion, here's an alternative until you can figure out where you want to move and act on it.  Go back to work with a no-fucks-given attitude and honestly do not give a fuck," he stressed.  "Work at your pace and let them fire you if they want."

"Just go back to work and don't care if they get upset," she repeated sarcastically, as though he'd lost his mind.

"Try it.  If you get fired you aren't going to starve, I promise you.  You have your savings and me.  Now enjoy your lunch and go back in there like you give zero fucks."

"Zero fucks," she repeated, trying it out.

"And make time to text me if you need me.  Don't get stressed out and not take time for yourself.  Lock yourself in the bathroom if you have to.  Tell them it's female issues and that'll make them back off."

She chuckled, realizing he was right about that. 

"Thanks.  I feel a lot better.  Without my money sitting in the bank though, I couldn't just give zero fucks, as you put it.  Do me a favor and don't ever become any kind of mentor to someone.  You'll have them homeless in a month."

"I may not care about anybody and everybody, but when I do care, I'll do anything for them.  And right now, my inner circle consists of one person."