9

"Hey, you made it," he grinned as she approached.  "How'd you sleep?"

He kissed each of her cheeks hello as an acquaintance would do, nothing more.

"Better than I'd expected, to be honest."

"Stress is bad for you in so many ways.  Today you need some fresh air and a break from the madness."

"I wouldn't know what to do if things went good for too long of a stretch," she chuckled.  

They began walking towards Boxpark, talking to pass the time.  She couldn't hide her envy as he spoke of his family.  James was sharp and picked up on it easily.

"You know what you really need?  You need some chill in your life, some fun.  And not a night at a club, either.  I'm talking being around good people...my crew."

"What are you saying, I need to be adopted like a puppy?"

He leaned his head back as though she was both humorous and ridiculous.

"I'm talking," he looked over, gesturing with his hands, "about having some family around.  Your analogy is a little different than what I was implying."

"Sorry, I guess I'm still feeling a little cheeky."

"Don't be sorry.  You're working out the frustrations.  Once the toxic stuff is gone you'll feel like a new person again."

"So I have this problem with having my family around," she reminded him, hoping he remembered that they were all gone.

"I remember, I'm sorry about that.  But, I have plenty to go around, so even if we're just friends I think you should meet my folks.  They're super cool, and their vibes would be good for you.  The shop is closed on Sundays and Mondays so tomorrow I'm going to see them.  Come with me if you're not doing anything."

She laughed nervously for a moment, unsure of what to say.  She'd just met him last night, and though he'd been a good distraction and was obviously a nice guy, explaining her life right now to his family would surely be awkward.

"I'm not sure they're going to understand my situation.  We'd have to explain how you and I met and that we're friends..."

"Nope, my family's really cool.  You'll like them.  Trust me, my father will be grilling and it's always worth the drive out there.  I promise, no one will question you like a suspect.  They might make you join in on our games," he grinned, nudging her with his elbow.

"What kind of games are we talking?"

"We play corn hole and yard darts, things like that.  Ridiculous-sounding but it's a lot of fun."

"Yard darts?"

"Yeah, my dad has a set from when he was younger.  They don't make them anymore because they've supposedly legitimately hurt people.  Anyway, we also play cutthroat poker sometimes and whatever else.  We like to mix it up.  Trust me, it'll be fun."

"Tomorrow?"

"Yeah, weather's supposed to be nice so it'll be a decent day for the bike.  You should come."

"Wait, bike as in motorcycle?"

That stopped her in her tracks, though the invite to hang out at his parents' place should have already.

"What, you're not a fan of riding?"

"I've never been on one before."

"You're serious...never?"