God of Music Chapter 107. Ease is Power! (2)

| Previous | Index | Next |

"It's easy to follow."

KangYoon started to judge the song.

"I... is that so?"
"Yeah. It's easy to the ear. There's no sense of rejection from the melody.

Park SoYoung heaved a deep sigh of relief as she was nervous after hearing what HeeYoon said about her songs. 'Easy to follow' was one of the most vague statements ever. It was neither a compliment nor a criticism.

"Is this rock?"
"Yes."
"And in my opinion, you thought of HyunAh as you wrote this."
"That's right. You realized already?"
"I get the feeling that this is just suited for her. The bass line is very good. The thudding sounds very good. The chord progression is also nice. However."

Park SoYoung gulped. This was the important bit.

"This is too weak for HyunAh to sing. In my opinion, I think you should raise the accents a little. Although this doesn't give any feeling of rejection, it's like... it's too easy. HyunAh has the tendency to burst all her power in one go after building up, and I think she'll find something like this, which is flat all the way to the end, quite hard to sing."
"Oooh...."
"If I have to speak generally, it's easy. You said that this song was for HyunAh, but  I have a feeling that anyone can digest this song. However, my opinion is that singers with characteristic voices will reject this song."

After listening to KangYoon's words, Park SoYoung nodded. She now understood a little about what she had to change. She took the score back again.

"Thanks for your time."
"No, you're HeeYoon's friend. This much is nothing."
"How important do you think it is to have my work evaluated by someone who actually works in the industry? I'll treat you to something later."
"Okay, okay."

KangYoon saw Park SoYoung off with a smile.
At the front door of World Entertainment, Park SoYoung asked for one last time.

"Uhm, oppa. If it were you, Would you... buy my song?"

At the careful question, KangYoon also replied with caution after thinking for a while.

"If you are referring to that song, then I will indeed."
"Really? I think there's something more to that."

Hearing that, Park SoYoung's expression brightened. However, KangYoon had something more to say.

"Then, I will hand it over to a really skilled arranger. The melody's good after all. I will have to find an arranger who can bring out the liveliness from the song. It would be a different story if you were the one to arrange it yourself, but with your current skills... I'm not sure if I'm able to leave it up to you."
"Oh... I get it. Okay. Looks like I must study harder."

Park SoYoung bowed towards KangYoon. Although this was the brother of her friend, she appreciated the fact that KangYoon was kind enough to do all this for her. Although his evaluation today was a burden on her heart, she was still thankful since she now knew what she could improve upon.

"I heard that composers have their own special traits. In the case of HeeYoon, she writes things down even while doing something else if she thinks of something. If that doesn't work, she holes herself up at home and works on stuff. She told me that there are just 'right times' for these things. But I don't think you're such type."
"Yes. I have to squeeze my head for three whole days to get something. Nothing just 'comes' to me incidentally."
"Well, it differs according to the person. Fufu, you two have completely different styles. Well, I guess that should be the case. And also, I think your strongest advantage is that your pieces are 'easy'."
"Being easy is an advantage...?"