It's a New Day

Day Two-December 4, Tuesday

Dear Dad, I don't know how to feel about you. I want to hate you, fear you, maybe even deny you. You told me who you are. Mom told me who you are, and I didn't believe it. I couldn't believe it. I wanted severely to disregard the voices being issued to my ears. To believe that it was an enormous misunderstanding and that everything could be repaired, but maybe it can't. Maybe it's just a childish wish. I saw you with my own eyes, my father. I watched in fear. I sat like a coward.... like you. I guess it's a family trait, a mass of cowards throughout our violent lineage. A cycle of disappointment and hurt.

The night and yesterday were behind me and my eyes were directed onto a new day. I insisted that today would be better, it had to be. I had to take things one day at a time and be patient with my situation and myself. "Dinnnnggg," Jay's alarm yelled at us, causing him to jump almost five feet in the air.

"Good morning, sleepy head," I spoke as I ran my fingers through his wavy, brown locks.

"Hey, did you sleep okay," he questioned while he rubbed his eyes. I replied, "It was better with you here. Besides the snoring, I didn't miss that."

A slight laugh fell out of my mouth as he sat up in his bed. He stroked his fingers through his hair. "I'm going to take a shower. Do me a favor and don't mess up my room."

I accepted his demand, even though it was impossible. "Don't worry, I don't think it can get much worse."

A few minutes later, he was tucked, safely away in his bathroom. I comprehended my surroundings and grasped how I ended up there. I thought back on the events of yesterday, I relived every agonizing detail.

I paid close attention to my conversation with my dad and the moment he... he. I looked down at my hands and took notice of the fact that I was shaking fiercely. I threw those thoughts out of my mind and put my attention on getting dressed, eating, and my normal morning routine.

My eyes surveyed his room, looking for my bag with a change of clothes inside. Then I realized where it was, Jay's bathroom. I mean I could have waited, but I really needed to get dressed. I headed over to his bathroom, stopped at the door, and heard him singing, "Party in the USA." I took a mental note to tease him about it later.

"Jay, I'm coming in to get my bag," I said as I opened the door.

I heard him say, "Don't peek at me."

I quickly went in and out, being sure to grab my bag in the process. "I promise I didn't see anything."

When he walked back into the room, he went over to his mini fridge and made cereal. He brought it over for us to eat on the bed.

"Do you remember what you said last night?" I nonchalantly asked trying not to scare him from the conversation.

He looked at me suspiciously. "You wanted to talk about my family."