The Broken Flaws

********

********

We both walked back to the lunch table and sat down with the rest of the group's eyes on us. Brian had seemingly rejoined the group. At first, there were three girls and two boys. Then, there were four boys and one girl. That girl being me.

Brian stood up as Banks and I approached. Brian put his arm around me and kissed my cheek.

I looked at Banks as he sat down. "Brian, can I pull you away for a moment?"

He nodded and followed me outside. "Where've you been?" My heart was racing as I leaned into Brian. But not from my feelings for him. It didn't ignite me like when Banks touched me.

"Michy stopped me in the hall. She's really upset about dumping your brother." He said back. "Where were you?"

As I thought about what to say Brian spoke up, "Is there something going on with you and Banks?"

I held myself awkwardly. "Maybe, we apparently got caught together this morning. Did you hear that?"

The thumping in my heart increased as he communicated, "Yes, I didn't want to believe it but I guess it's true." He looked genuinely upset.

I reached for his hand and he let me. "I'm not really ready for a relationship right now. I just want to take my time before making any decisions. I hope you're okay with that."

He squeezed my hand with care. "I am. I just want to know if I'm still on the table?"

My answer should have been no. But with the puppy dog look on his face, I just couldn't. "Yeah, just give me a few days."

Banks looked us up and down as we rejoined the table still holding hands. I ended up sitting in between Brian and Banks.

"What's Cece mad about now?" Banks asked in a detached manner.

Neo said, "You, big boy."

"It's always me. What did I do this time?" He stuffed his face with cafeteria macaroni in the most nonchalant way. Like Brian touching me didn't bother him at all. I squinted my eyes at him and shook my head.

"She's mad because she thinks I like you. And particularly offended at me for allowing you to even look at me for too long. You're acting like it's just a typical Thursday." He smiled with food still filling his mouth.

His reaction annoyed me more. "Why are you smiling like that?"

"All I'm hearing is that you like me," he mocked right in front of Brian. I whacked his arm, "Banks. This is serious." He poked his fork around his plate.

"I'm being serious. She was bothered about it then, she's bothered about it now, and she'll stay bothered about it until she decides not to be. I can't do anything to make her feel better. It's almost been a year since we broke up and we only dated for a few months. The relationship wasn't that serious, at least not to me," he huffed and scrunched up his face.