Red Light, Green Light

********

********

I found myself back in my room while a cluster of thoughts sprinted in my mind. My body tensed up as I closed the door behind me in a wave of emotion. The phone residing on the nightstand mocked me with its contents. It was face down with the charger still intact. The floor against the side of my bed was my new nesting ground as I placed the phone in my hand.

My reflection glittered in the deep black screen.

Even from the small surface, I could see such agony in my expression. Hitting the power button wasn't even my intention, yet my home screen replaced my face. And there it was, the infamous message staring back at me. In the back of my mind, I hoped that it was a mirage. It was definitely real.

What did Mom mean when she said he was fighting for us? After what he did, he didn't deserve custody, and no respectable court would give it to him. But, the fact that he even wanted it gave me some sort of hope for his soul.

He was my dad and maybe I should have heard him out. Was that betraying my mom, though? I should have stayed with her, he wasn't safe. I never thought I would have to make that choice. Before I was wishing for a text like this from him. But, it was there and I didn't know how to act.

Above it, there was a missed call from no other than Banks. I didn't even notice it before with everything going on.

"Hey, hey," I repeated trying to steady my voice from all the shakiness that was trying to overcome me. "Screw it," and I called him.

"Hey Daya, I called you," he cut himself off when he heard my ragged breathing.

"What's going on?" He inquired.

I huffed, "Stupid family crap. My brother and I got into a fight, everything's weird," I was trying to calm myself down.

"Do you want to talk about it?" He almost sounded nervous to ask. From the little I gauged about him, he didn't seem to ever be off his too-cool-for-anything act.

"I don't know what to say without sounding like I should be put in a mental asylum." That wasn't a joke but I heard a little chuckle from the other side of the line.