chapter 3

It was Cherry's turn today to go into town  to pick up more food from the market. Lady Tremaine gave her enough money for the food everyone would have to eat, but not enough for a treat for herself, Atticus or Cinderella. She often used the last bit to treat her and her friends, but not this time. She walked along the kingdom's castle, home of the king and his son, the prince. She had never met either before. She was walking alongside, then suddenly the window cracked and smashed as a crown flew out and landed on Cherry's butt after she fell from the sudden impact. Cherry stood up, dusted herself off and looked through the window to see the royal king with his grand duke and they were talking about something important.

Cherry went closer to the window and stood on her tip-toes to look into the kingdom. The king was pudgy, short and elderly. Cherry always envisioned him to be lean, tall, and very handsome. Oh, well, maybe his son was better to look at. Cherry couldn't help but overhear their conversation. The king sounded childish, though he wanted to see his grandchildren before he dies and wants his son, the prince to settle down with his own family. 

"Wow, I wonder if we'll be able to go." Cherry said to herself once the king mentioned throwing a ball for an eligible bachelorette to hook up with the prince. She then quickly ran her errands and dashed back to the château. 

That was when Cherry came back with a bag full of fresh bread from the baker, some fruits and vegetables from the grocer, and a few treats for Drizella and Anastasia. Cherry crept in as Cinderella and Atticus were cleaning the floor and the Tremaine girls were having a music lesson. Lady on the piano, Drizella singing, and Anastasia playing her flute. Cherry was just glad she didn't have to sit through the lesson against her will with Anastasia's off-key playing, Drizella's ear bleeding singing and Lady Tremaine's eerie piano playing. Cinderella was singing some of the song the girls were singing, a classic song entitled O Sweet Nightingale. 

"Did you get the food?" Atticus asked as he mopped up the floor a little.

"Yeah, and I heard the most amazing news!" Cherry replied.

"What is it, Cherry?" Cinderella asked.

"Well, it involved the king and-"

"Oh, Lucifer!"

Everyone turned to see that Lucifer was up to his old tricks again. He had dusted his paws up and hopped around the floor, creating more work for Atticus and Cinderella after they just cleaned the floor. "Dumb, evil cat!" Atticus sneered.

"You mean old thing!" Cinderella added as Lucifer left. "i'm just gonna have to teach him a lesson."

"I think Bruno could use a new, living chew toy." Cherry snickered.

"My thoughts exactly." Atticus added.

"Guys, that isn't very nice." Cinderella scolded.

There was then a knock at the door. "Open in the name of the king!"

Cinderella, Cherry, and Atticus walked to the door. They opened to see a member of the royal court who had papers. They all just had to wonder why a royal person of high social status was coming to a commoner's home. "An urgent message from his Majesty." the royal postman handed Cinderella something as Cherry and Atticus looked in equal curiosity. 

"Thank, you." Cinderella said, gently shutting the door on him. She then opened the letter to read of what it was about.

"So, what were you gonna tell us, Cherry?" Atticus asked.

"Eh, I'll tell you later." Cherry shrugged it off. She felt like the royal postman's visit and the letter were relating to what she overheard earlier.