chapter 11

The next morning, was a better, fresh morning. Cherry and Cinderella were outside in their casual clothes. Beatrice was there with them to escort them to and from the village. 

"Open the gates!" Cinderella commanded.

The guard in the tower nodded and opened the gates. The girls smiled and waved to him as they went into town to deliver invitations to the banquet tonight. Cherry helped out and handed some invitations to anyone Cinderella told her to. Prudence followed them in their tracks and stormed to the girls, not approving of their unruly ways. "Your Highness, the king would not approve," she scolded Cinderella. "You're supposed to be inviting dukes, and counts, and other aristocrats!"

"We are inviting them," Cinderella said, handing another envelope. "Along with all our friends here in the village."

"Your Highness, I strongly advise against it," Prudence stood in their way, holding open her tiny book. "It's simply not the way things are done."

Cinderella came closer and shut the book in her hands. "Perhaps the time has come to try something new."

Cherry then handed an envelope to a baking man. He dropped his dough and took the invitation. Cherry snickered once she saw flour plastered against Prudence's face. 

The girls then went to the kitchen. Cherry was sitting on the counter next to a paper. Cherry was munching from inside a strange, purple jar as Cinderella took the paper, seeing the list of foods to be prepared. "This party needs help," Cinderella said. "Starting with dessert."

"No prunes, yuck!" Gus said, absolutely disgusted.

Jaq got on top of a small corner and poured some chocolate filling into a bowl. "Jaq Jaq loves chocolate!"

Gus sounded hungry and happy now. He leaned back accidentally and ducked as he let a bottle of milk pour into the bowl, creating a whole new dessert.

"Chocolate pudding!" the girls cheered.

"Now that sounds good!" Cinderella smiled.

Cherry nodded in agreement, then felt her stomach churned. She looked down to see she had been eating from a prune jar and ran off, cupping her mouth in extreme sickness. 

Now in the ballroom after Cherry started feeling better, there was more lively music. Cinderella was dancing happily and free spiritedly with Beatrice. She was even laughing at Cinderella's ways of no rules. "We never get to dance like this!" she giggled.

Cherry smiled from her chair. She looked up to see Daphne come in. She then went to the blue dressed woman and danced with her, balancing one of her books on her head. 

Prudence was in deep protest from this free spirit dancing. It was really angering her as she grew impatient and furious with Cherry and Cinderella. "It simply isn't done! It simply ISN'T DONE!" she stormed off in a huff.

"It simply isn't done!" Jaq mocked Prudence. He then laughed and danced with Gus, singing. "It simply isn't done! It simply isn't done!"

The girls then left the ballroom and began more on preparations. Cherry threw down a rug to spread through to the front doors of the castle and happily chased it to see where it would end. The guards stood side by side inside as the rug nearly touched the doors. Cinderella smiled at her and stood next to her as things were wrapping up along nicely.

Daphne then came to Cinderella with two different clothes. "Your Highness, sand or buff?"

"Which color do you like?" Cinderella asked.

"Hmm..." Daphne paused for a moment to think, then smiled as she answered. "Pink!"

Cherry cringed at that color suggestion.

"Perfect," Cinderella giggled, then looked around the room. "Something's still missing..."

"Hang on," Cherry pulled her hood over her eyes. "Okay, go ahead."

Cinderella nodded then opened the curtains. The sun was brightly shining and brought more life and color into the castle. Even the royal men were very relieved to see the sun again after so long. However, Prudence came in, screaming and acting horrified. "What will the king say!?"

"I know this is a big chance, but I have to try this my way." Cinderella told her.

"Well, then," Prudence relaxed herself. "I certainly hope you know what you're doing."

That night was the banquet. Cherry and Cinderella were in their room getting ready. Cinderella was wearing a high styled version of her royal ball dress and put Cherry in a winter blue dress with her hair tied into a ponytail. Cinderella even put lipstick on the orphan girl to make her look more dressed up and grown up for the prince and Atticus. There were horses heard outside.

"They're here, Cinderelly and Cherry!" Jaq called out.

"Well," Cinderella smiled. "It's too late to turn back now."

The girls then went downstairs to meet and greet with everyone. Cherry saw the children dancing in a circle and decided to maybe join them. The boy with the flower from earlier came to Cherry.

"May I have this dance, ma'am?" the boy asked, sheepishly.

"Sure, kind sir." Cherry smiled, then picked him up to dance with him.

Prudence was in royally purple clothes with her hair down. She was still stubborn and strict about the banquet's festivities as always. "This dance is horrifying!"

"Aw, can't you cut loose once in a while?" Cherry glared at her.

Trumpets then played, making everyone stop what they were doing. 

"The King has arrived." Prudence said, looking stoic.

The King had come in and looked around. He looked very strict and serious. "Pudding!" Beatrice cheered as she ran in with a silver dish, but accidentally spilled it all over his head. Everyone looked with horror as the King had been assaulted with dessert. 

"What in blazes is going on here!?" the King demanded, looking red as a tomato.

"Your Majesty!" Prudence called.

"Who opened those curtains!?" the King snarled, then looked out the window. He looked awed and fascinated to see the night sky.

"This is all Princess Cinderella's and Cherry's doing!" Prudence tried to explain.

"Oh, what a lovely moon!" the King cooed.

"I tried to teach them, sire." Prudence continued as if she wanted the girls to be punished.

The King turned to the guests in the castle. "Commoners!? In the palace!?"

"They simply refused to listen!" Prudence said.

The King was helped up by someone who resembled him, only in peasant clothing and had gray hair. "Oh, hello, Giuseppe!" he hugged the man like they were old friends.

"It's a scandal!" Prudence hissed.

"Your Majesty, I can explain..." Cinderella came to him, nervously.

The King noticed the brown substance and glanced at it. "What is this?"

"Your dessert, Sire." Cherry replied.

The King turned red and angry again, until he got a taste of chocolate. "No prunes for dessert!?"

"An absolute outrage!" Prudence growled.

"Mm, chocolate, my favorite!" the King marveled.

Cherry and Cinderella shared a thumbs up.

The King laughed as Beatrice helped him up. "What happened to the music? Everybody dance!"

The conductor looked back at the king. He then smiled, feeling safe and let the music play again. Cherry went back to her younger dance partner and danced with him happily. There was even a Tango dance number and the King made Prudence dance with the Grand Duke. They eyed each other seductively and walked off to dance solo. They were perfectly made for each other. The Prince and Cinderella happily reunited and Atticus exhaustedly came back but joined in on the fun and traditions of the royal banquet. From then on, chocolate pudding for dessert, people may sit where they like, and more happy songs to dance to as decreed by the Prince and Princess Cinderella.