▹six.

r.m.

A loud knock on my door interrupted me from my much-needed nap.

"Hey," Maya quietly said.

I mumbled a response, too tired to form a proper sentence. She silently laughed and I finally sat up, not wanting to waste any of the little time we have together.

During the school year, Lucas and I kind of had a thing-- if you can even call it that. We hardly spoke to each other, all that came out of our mouths were awkward greetings and awful small talk. Our relationship couldn't have lasted with that, which is partly why I broke up with him.

One day, he said something about Maya that completely opened up my eyes. He joked about how we were "too close" and it never left my mind. Lucas probably didn't think anything of it, but it's all I've thought about since that day. As I reflected back on our entire relationship, I realized that I may have liked Maya more than a friend. Now I know for sure.

That only made the fact that I'm leaving ten times harder. How am I supposed to leave the one person that makes me feel worth more than the world?

I've tried hiding my feelings, but sometimes my thoughts just slip out. I felt like Farkle suspected that something was up with me, so I guess it's safe to say he probably knew. Now, I can't even tell her because I'm leaving. She'll be thousands of miles away but I'll still love her with my whole heart.

She walked over and sat on the other side of the bed. I put on a casual smile even though, on the inside, my heart pounded at an insane rate.

"So, what are we doing today?" I asked.

She raised an eyebrow and I tilted my head.

"Did you forget?"

"Forget what?" my mind ran through every possible event that could be happening today. It wasn't anyone's birthday, no relatives were supposed to come over, no one--

"Lucas is leaving for Texas today."

I blinked and dropped my jaw. "Today? How has it been a week already?!"

I got up and realize that this may be the last day I'll ever see him. Who knows if he'll visit? I mean, I turned him down and clearly, he still has feelings for me. I ignored it though, unsure of what I could tell him. We're still friends, though, but I doubt he'll willingly visit.

"Oh my god," I began panicking. "How could I forget?! What if he's already on the plane? I'm such a terrible friend--"

"Relax," she put a hand on my shoulder. "He's not leaving till late at night."

I let out a breath as I looked outside. The sun still shone brightly through the window, so my nap didn't last as long as I thought.

"You're not a terrible friend," she quietly said.

"I forgot that Lucas was leaving today and I might never see him again! I would've forgotten to say bye, Maya! That literally defines a terrible friend."

"You're overreacting, he's still here," she sighed.

"Sorry, I know," I mumbled. "I'm just gonna miss him so much."

"You're gonna miss your ex?" she raised her eyebrows. "Wow, if you're getting this worked up about him, I wonder what our goodbye will be like."

I didn't want to talk about this, especially when I'm about to say goodbye to one of my closest friends. I can't stand the thought of Maya leaving, too.

"Let's go," I held out my hand, ignoring what she said. "I wanna spend some time with him."

She hesitantly took the hint and grabbed my hand. We rode the train to his apartment complex and knocked on Lucas's door.