The Promotion

Seb sat in bed next to Becca, staring at his and his boss's text conversation.

Becca was reading a book, not paying Seb much attention.

Seb bit his lip, thinking. Becca glanced up at him, noticing his unrest.

"You okay, Seb?" she asked.

"My boss just offered me a promotion," Seb answered.

"To what?" Becca asked, looking confused. "You're head of staff."

"He's promoting me to his personal assistant," Seb said.

"That's a promotion?" Becca asked, her eyebrows furrowing.

Seb laughed.

"That's exactly was I told him!" Seb laughed.

"Damn, stop trying to imitate me," Becca laughed.

"Do you think I should take it?" Seb asked.

"There's a catch, isn't there?" Becca asked. "There's always a catch."

"I share a flat with him," Seb answered.

"Ew," Becca said, wrinkling her nose. "Seems like something he'd do."

"And if I say no he fires me," Seb added.

Becca bit her lip.

"I don't want to risk not being able to find another job," Seb said.

"And it pays well," Becca added.

"Yeah," Seb said. "And you're completely comfortable with it?"

"Sure," Becca said. "You're not gay, so I don't see what's wrong with it."

Seb nodded in agreement. Technically, this was true. Bi wasn't the same thing as gay. But Becca didn't need to know that. She'd just worry. In truth, Seb didn't want to be with anyone besides her. Having sex with anyone else, not a guy nor a girl, wasn't a temptation when Becca could do it better any day.

"He probably isn't gay, anyways," Seb shrugged, wanting to change the subject.

"He doesn't seem gay from the text conversations I've read," Becca said.

"You read my texts?" Seb asked, surprised.

"You expect me to just sit here and hope there's nothing you're not telling me?" Becca asked. "You know full well I'm not exactly passive."

"Yeah," Seb laughed. "I don't have a problem with it though. I know there's nothing bad on there."

"That's good," Becca said, nodding.
After a pause, she said, "you know that's not going to stop me from looking at it, right?"

"Right," Seb laughed.

"You want to go to bed?" Becca asked.

"Yeah," Seb answered.

He stretched out, plugging his phone in, dropping it on the nightstand, and turning the light off.

Becca put her book away and turned towards him, smiling. She slipped her arms underneath Seb's arms. Seb threw his arms around her shoulders. Becca leaned forward, brushing her lips against his.

"Night, Seb," she whispered, touching his nose lightly with her index finger.

"Goodnight," Seb replied, letting his eyes close.

He wasn't too worried about the promotion or staying in the same flat as his boss. As long as Moriarty wasn't weird about it, it was fine with him. Seb went to bed feeling alright. He should've been more cautious.