0.4

🎵 Knees - Bebe Rexha 🎵

The smell of oil and metal surrounds her as she struggles to crank a bolt in place on the machine above her. Her hand reddens as her grip on the wrench becomes tighter and her will to fix the damn car intensifies.

There that should do it.

With excitement overwhelming her, she bumps her head on the way out from under her car to the driver’s seat. But the dull pain throbbing on her forehead doesn’t stop her from gripping on the key already in the ignition.

She bites her lip out of nerves.

This is it.

This is the day that this damn car finally starts.

Please God, make it work.

With hand placed around the keys and foot on the gas pedal, the girl closes her eyes as she turns on the ignition.

She opens her eyes and her eyebrows furrow in confusion. She turns it on again.

No, this can’t be happening.

That doesn’t sound ri--

Smoke erupts from both the hood and the exhaust pipe of her car.

The smell of it doesn’t bother her, but the smell of her failure does.

She shakes her body back in forth between the steering wheel and her seat out of rage, accidentally honking the horn a few times. The neighbour’s dog from across the street barks at her.

She stares at the creature.

Piss off.

The girl gives the dog the finger and the animal bows his head in shame.

“That didn’t sound good.” Her father leans down on her window waving his hands around him.

The thick smoke still flowing about.

“Now,” he puts down his daughter’s outstretched arm, “it’s not the dog’s fault.” He chuckles as his daughter lays her head on the horn, earning another bark from the dog.

“Come on,” he pats the hood of her malfunctioning car, “you’ll be late for school.”

She groans.

***

“I’ll pick you up same time, Pocahontas.”