0.5

🎵Floating - Alina Baraz🎵

The smell of greenery surrounds her as she squats down in the middle of a bush trying to find the right angle to capture the beauty of a single flower she found hiding underneath the leaves.

She snaps the photo and looks at it through the viewfinder.

Not good enough.

She adjusts herself again, rustling and granting the prickly leaves and their branches access to her bare skin. The feeling doesn't bother her though as she fumbles around more with the settings of her camera.

Her dad recently bought it for her as an early birthday present. With him gone for most of the year, busying about his real estate business and only being home for a collective set of weeks at a time, she wanted to make good use of the camera.

Maybe he'll be impressed enough with my pictures that he'll start sticking around.

Click

She looks at the viewfinder again and sighs.

Still not good enough.

"What you doing down there?" a boy whispers in her ear.

She loses balance and falls on her butt. The sharp pain lingers on her bottom as she looks up at her intruder.

Gale.

Her eyes widen in embarrassment and a rosiness appears on her cheeks.

She wants to run away, but she can't since she's just been found out crouching in the middle of a bush in the front garden of the school.

Her body is too mortified to move.

He chuckles and grins down at the girl.

His grin adds on another shade of blush on the girl's cheeks.

"Need a hand?"

She hesitates but finally accepts his outstretched arm.

She brushes down her pants and jumper.

Gale quietly picks off a stray leaf tangled in her blonde hair and smiles at the little thing.

She notices and quickly tucks her hair behind her ear.

I should've tied it. It's become too long.

"I-I better go."

She slings her camera over her neck and turns to get out of the little garden.

"Lucy?"

The girl turns to answer the call.

"Can I see them at least?"