2

After the second act of the first show, I got out of my costume and made a quick dash for supper with Hannah and Steph, who was playing Peggy and Maria today. We went to one of our favourite burger joints, getting take-out and heading back to the theatre. It was a habit of mine on double show days to remain at, or close to the theatre, between showtimes. I had an easily distracted mind and could definitely be late if I strayed too far.

Us girls all joked and lounged around together, relishing our time out of corsets.

Paul and Josh sauntered by our room on their way to start getting ready

"Hey!" I yelled out to them, stopping them abruptly in their tracks.

Both men turned around, grins on their faces as they hung out in the door way.

"What's good, Soph?" Josh asked with a nod of his head.

"Do either of you know if Lin is taking anyone with him tonight? Like his wife or his son?" I was merely curious to see who else might pop up. More so I was asking to see how nervous I should be.

They both shrugged their shoulders.

"No clue, to be honest," Paul replied. I simply nodded my head as they walked away.

Steph hopped up from her chair, throwing out her containers, stretching after she had done so.

"Well I think it's time to touch up this mug and start getting ready ladies!" she said happily.

My heart was pounding heavily as I helped Steph get ready first and then helped Hannah lace up her corsets.

I was the last to finish getting ready. I threw my dark brown hair in Angelica's signature half-up-half-down do for the first act of the show. Hannah laced up the back of my dress. Thank god for these girls, they kept me sane and we all helped each other get ready.

My heart was beating heavily. It seemed like I was the only one really nervous about performing in front of Lin. Everyone else was giddy with excitement, whispering excitedly to each other as we waited for our call to the stage. My anxiety seemed to just be getting the better of me, making me scared of messing up too much. I stared at myself in the mirror trying to calm myself.

My mind raced and raced.

Remember Sophia. You're just the silly, young girl that got lucky. One mess up and you're out. Lin could watch you tonight and decide you aren't good enough for-

Steph shook my shoulder harshly.

"Earth to Soph! You in there? We need to get ready in the wings." I blinked my eyes quickly and rubbed my forehead, letting out a breath I hadn't realized I was holding.

I turned to her and gave a soft smile.

"Sorry about that. Let's do this!"

***********

I walked hand-in-hand off-stage with Hannah and Steph, all three of us squealing with excitement. Tomorrow was Monday, which meant a whole free day.

"I think that was one of our best performances," Steph turned to me and smiled widely.

The cast as a whole always did well, but the pressure of Lin being present seemed to push everyone even harder.

"I agree!" chimed in Hannah, as I nodded simply in agreement.

I was so excited to just relax for a whole 24 hours, sleep-in, and veg it out. As a main lead I always tried to take rests seriously, as I wanted to miss as little time as possible.

I was just undoing my hair when Paul came and knocked on the dressing room door. All three of us turned around to look at him as he began to speak.

"Lin is going to pop backstage in a few minutes, we would appreciate if ya'll could hang around for a few extra minutes."

After we all nodded in assurance he turned and left. We all quickly helped each other get out of our dresses and into our, much more comfortable, street clothes. I sat myself in my dressing room chair and checked my phone for the first time since this afternoon.

I was scrolling through Instagram when down the hall I could hear the familiar laugh of Lin, joined by an unfamiliar one.

So he did bringsomeone with him...but who?