11

We walked back through the door of Daveed's apartment at around 4pm. I was a bit tired after a day of sight-seeing but was very excited to see Daveed perform with Rafael. Daveed made his way to the kitchen and cracked a bottle of water open. He downed most of it in one swift gulp before handing the rest to me. I took a small sip and placed the bottle back on the counter.

"So, what time do we need to be there?" I asked as I sat back onto the stool by the breakfast bar, resting my head in my arms.

"Show starts at 9, Rafa always likes me to be a bit early to go over material. We need to be there for 8. That means leaving here at...7:30?" he looked at me with a questioning look, trying to see if that worked for me. I nodded my head in agreement.

"I'll have to start getting ready around 6. Wait, what's the dress code?"

"Wear what you want. Rafa's gigs are always really casual."

My mind was already racing about what to wear. A dress? Maybe that is too fancy. Leggings and a blouse? Still too fancy perhaps. Jeans and a jacket? Maybe...

"Yo, Soph," Daveed said, waving a hand in front of my face gently.

"What? Sorry, I spaced out thinking about clothes." I grinned softly.

"I was asking if you wanted food, something small to hold you over?"

"I could really go for a grilled cheese..." I trailed off looking up at him, batting my eyelashes.

"I suppose for you I can swing that." He winked at me as he turned around to start making the sandwich.

While he cooked, we talked about my favourite parts of the day and what else I wanted to see before I headed back to Detroit. My sandwich was served up in a matter of minutes.

"Can I get the ketchup, please?" I asked as I pulled the plate toward me.

Daveed turned back toward me with a furrowed brow.

"I'm sorry...? Ketchup? What?"

"I eat my grilled cheese with ketchup," I laughed softly. He shook his with a playful scowl.

"I can't believe this..." he trailed off as he went back to cooking for himself.

"Hey! Don't knock it until you try it!" I said and took a bite of my grilled cheese.

***********

I came out of the bedroom and held up a dress in front of Daveed.

"Too much?" I asked as I bit my lip, so indecisive and unsure about what I should wear. His eyes darted up at me and he gave a small smile.

"You can wear what you want, Soph. You look beautiful in everything you wear. You could go in sweatpants and a sports bra and I would still call you, and find you, extremely gorgeous."

I felt my face heat up as I nodded and walked back to the guest bedroom. In that moment, I decided to pull out an outfit that I knew I would be comfortable and confident in.

I pulled on a sleeveless maroon bodysuit, that had mesh over the low-cut chest section, pairing it with my favourite black, ripped jeans and a strappy black heel. My make-up had already been done, but I grabbed a maroon lipstick to match my shirt and swept it onto my lips. My lips rubbed together and made a popping noise as I separated them. I grabbed my black leather bomber from suitcase and threw it over my arm for now.

I slowly pushed the guest room door open and moved toward Daveed. He looked up from his phone. I watched his eyes rove over my body, pausing on my curves before meeting my gaze. A small smirk grew on his lips as I felt my cheeks warm up.