Chapter 4: The Nightmares

AN: I finally updated this! Sorry the_star_nerd

I swear, I did not abandoned this!

It actually took me five tries (with writer's block) to write it right.

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

There's blood in his hands,

Knife before his feet...

And countless dead bodies surrounding him.

He looked up to see a wide vast of nothingness, looming with darkness and obscured by a thin fog.

"You did well." The voice said from behind him and he whirled around, but nobody was there. His soul thumps in his chest as his eyes darted around. Searching for the source of the unknown voice.

It sounded like a man. Old but smooth. Mature but with a hint of playful madness.

"Don't feel bad about them." There it was again. "Their lives meant nothing. They're nobodies."

Geno looked down at the lifeless bodies, blood oozing from the stab wounds and gashes that litters their battered bodies. He felt his nonexistent stomach twist and churn at the disgusting sight.

"Have no mercy." The voice said.

The corpses rise from the ground in a disturbingly unnatural way. Their limbs and joints were bent in an uncomfortable position and their head lolling around limply over their shoulders. It was as if they were puppets in strings.

Geno backed away, keeping his distance as far as possible but he was surrounded. They were towering over his small figure. Threatening to close in on him. What is this?!

"If you don't kill them, they will kill you."

Suddenly, the bodies burst to flames and they opened their mouth to release a blood-curdling scream filled with agonizing pain that penetrates through Geno's skull. He quickly covered his ears in an attempt to block the sound, but it did nothing to help.

The fire grew larger, hotter, and Geno can feel it against his bones. What's happening!?

The screams never stop. Various voices pleading, begging to be free from the unknown binds.

Then fire rain down the dark sky and upon closer look, Geno realized in horror, it was burning people falling from above.

Geno screamed and jolts up his bed. The remnants of his dream still flashing on the back of his eye as he backs away, scooting until his back hits something solid and hard. He could almost feel the hot fire lick at his bones and burning him alive.

The swung open and slammed against the wall as the panicking CQ rushed to his side. Gathering her son in his arms as she knelt by the side of the bed.

"It's okay, sweetie, I'm here. I'm here." She soothes in a hurried but hushed voice, pressing her son's body against hers. Only then she realized the intense heat radiating off his bones.

She immediately unravels the boy's red scarf from his neck and using to wipe the thin layer of sweat on the boy's forehead. She also snatched the blanket away to expose her feverish son to cool early morning air.

Geno sobbed against her, clutching a fistful of her shirt and burying his face on her mother's breast. He was so scared. His dream was so scary. It wasn't like anything he had ever dreamt before.