Sucker

As soon as they got the notification that Jojo and Jake, two of their favorite mentors, were doing a partner class, Sean and Kaycee knew they couldn't miss it.

Sean made some calls to move their schedules around, while Kaycee confirmed their attendance and pre-paid their fees. They were always on the lookout for partner classes, but they were few and far between for their genre of dance. Plus, the combo of Jojo and Jake was too rare to pass up.

Ever coordinated in their black and white combo, the pair came to class hyped. The second they walked into the studio, Kaycee got the sense that it was going to be an interesting time.

For starters, they were dancing to “Sucker" by the Jonas Brothers, which was a fun bop. There were also a lot of different faces in the class, none from their usual circle. Last but not the least, Gabe was there.

Now, Kaycee and Gabe didn't end on a bad note. They just grew apart, and wanted to pursue different things. Gabe focused on hip hop and went on to do Mickey Mouse Club, while Kaycee branched out to different styles.

And contrary to popular opinion, Sean and Gabe didn't hate each other either. The two boys were childhood friends. They learned the same hip hop choreos and built their foundation in the same classes.

But over time, when they began figuring out their identities, their paths divulged – Gabe down one road, Sean and Kaycee down another. The pair rarely crossed paths with him nowadays.

Since becoming a duo, Sean and Kaycee made a commitment to learn from each other and push one another out of their comfort zones. They took all sorts of classes for different styles, most of them a far cry from hip hop, which Gabe considered his forte.

Still, there was no love lost between them. The moment Kaycee laid her eyes on the boy, she eagerly bounded over to him.

“Gabe!” She said, skipping into his open arms. They hugged warmly, with Sean following closely behind.

“What’s up, man?” Sean greeted, giving him a high five. “It's been a while.”

“Yeah, I know! Haven't seen you guys in forever.” Gabe chuckled, looking at the pair in wonder. “But I see lots of good things online. You guys are really killing it.”

Sean humbly waved off the compliment, but Kaycee ever graciously accepted it.

“And you too! You still do the Mickey Mouse Club, right?” She asked.

They huddled together before the class, catching up on lost time. Gabe was attending the class with Charley Bennett, another familiar face from the community but not one the duo was close with. She and Gabe weren't official partners, but they both wanted to take the class.

“I’m pretty sure you two are the only official partners here.” Gabe quipped, surveying the room. Dance partnerships were common enough, but they were mostly tactical – for competition only. Once dancers retire from the competition circuit, which most of them do by their early teens, there was really no point in maintaining a partnership.

This was part of the reason why Sean and Kaycee were such a sought after novelty. Sure, they started their partnership for a competition. But they remained committed long after World of Dance ended. Many of their fellow duet competitors went their separate ways – Josh and Taylor, even Charity and Andres were pursuing different endeavors – but Sean and Kaycee kept going strong and better than ever.

“Okay, guys! Let’s do this!” Jojo called out, signaling the start of the class.

They started off by learning the individual choreographers first. The dance was really fun, but heavy on musicality and relied heavily on partners being in sync. Kaycee learned the moves quickly, but couldn't really see the full picture yet, so she was excited to come together with Sean to put both parts together.