Chapter Seventeen: Sometimes, The Cliff Looks Softer Than My Own Bed

Peter and I had now successfully finished six out of seven days with baby Toby. We were supposed to go out for ice cream, as a final hurrah before school when we had to give her back. The only problem was that I couldn't find him.

  Over the passed few days at school, Peter was completely different. 

  "Lea, if you don't smile soon, I'll make you smile." Peter had threatened this everytime I got to concentrated or overwhelmed. I was starting to get used to his company.

  "You and I both know you wouldn't dare."

  "Wanna bet?" He walked behind me, and sure enough, he pulled up the corners of my mouth, forming a smile that beared my teeth. Annie had been watching the baby (she insisted) and just so happened to walk around the corner (bickering with Dakota about how he had bought too many dresses for Ellie and not enough diapers) right when Peter and I had been laughing about the smile on my face. Peter had leaned around me to see it, and it looked quite awkward. Annie stopped short and turned around. She gestured for Dakota to follow, and when he looked confused she hit him and he grunted and continued down the hallway with her.

  "See, see what you did?"

  "What? She know's we're friends!" 

  "She thought you were going to kiss me!"

  "Oh come on, there is no way you could have known what she was thinking!"

   "We're Twins. We know things."

  He laughed and we continued to debate my Twin empathy.

 Peter was a very whimsical person. He really liked to make people happy, and ever since I told him about my dad on that first night, he was always trying to push me to laugh. Even in class.

  I stopped at Twin's house with the baby. Dakota was there, and surprisingly, they were getting along until I walked in. Dakota rolled his eyes and left the room.

  "What's his problem with me?" I asked setting Toby down on the carpet next to Ellie.

  "I honestly don't know.."

  "Anyways. Have you seen Peter? We're going out for ice cream with the baby."

  "No, can't say I have. But," she nudged my shoulder, "you goin' out for ice cre-am." She extended the 'e'  in a teasing voice. Ever since the smile incident, she thought we were dating. I didn't even like him that way. Did I?

  "Shut up Twin. It's just to celebrate the end of the baby project."

  "Whatever you say Mrs. Jensen."

  "Wait wait wait. Mrs. Jensen? What happened there?!" Dakota swung around the corner he was about to turn, entering the room with a sudden intrest.

  "Nothing, leave it alone."

  "What?" Dakota sat down oh-so-rudely between Twin and I. 

  "She lo-oves him!" Twin taunted.

  "Shut UP Twin!" I said, turning various shades of red.

  "No, no, tell me about this Leeta thing."

  "Leeta?"

  "Yea, Peter and Lea. Leeta."

  "Ohmygod Dakota, you sound like a teenage girl magazine." Twin and I facepalmed.

  "Well, I'd love to stay here and be ridiculed about my baby daddy, but I'd much rather go find him."