Chapter Nineteen

Dedication to Obsessionz! Thanks for following this story, and the rest of you will find out the other reason for their dedication in this chapter :)

Enjoy!

"Everyone just shut up!" I screeched. I was in Connor and Aaron's apartment, arguing about band names once again.

"Well, we kind of need a name in order to start a band-" Connor began.

I cut him off. "True, but we also need a full band, and I don't know if you've noticed, but we don't have a drummer yet, and we haven't written a single song."

"Wait!" Aaron yelled before running off, returning moments later with a crumpled piece of paper. "I tried writing a song at the end of senior year, and it turned out kinda crappy. Well, I did like a few lines, so I put them together into a pre-chorus and chorus thing, but that's about as far as I got. I don't have a title, I was thinking Afraid, but that's kind of simple. It's a bit about Connor and I coming out in High School and other things, and yea." He handed me the piece of paper.

How I look for you

But I can't see your face

And then I hear you

The only thing you say...

I am afraid right now

I don't wanna let you down

And I am the one who can't be saved

The only thing I say...

I am afraid right now

What if I can't get out?

What if I don't want to be saved?

This is me afraid

I was stunned. "Wow, this is-"

"Shitty, yea I know, I tried and I just-"

"Dude, shut up!" I blurted. "This is amazing!"

He seemed shocked. "Really?"

"He underestimates himself. A lot. He thinks he can't write lyrics but he can. He has fragments of more songs. Also, he's great at creating harmonies, and he can scream." Connor but in.

"You can scream?" I squealed and he nodded. "Oh man, this band is going to be great!" I was extremely excited right now. Piece by piece, this was starting to look more like a band. My phone buzzing in my pocket interrupted my thoughts that had just barely begun. I checked the caller ID and it was Patrick.

"I'm just going to take this. You two can argue about a band name if you must." I stepped out of the room and answered the call. "Hello?"

"I've got great news!" Patrick beamed from the other end of the phone. "So Mr. Simmons, the private investigator called, and he said that you have a great case. There's a ton of evidence, they went back to your house and there were broken bottles and dried blood and stuff, so your siblings don't have to give a statement unless it's taken to court, which it probably won't. They're looking for your mother, and you've been granted custody of your siblings, you just have to sign a couple of papers that he's mailing to the apartment." I was speechless. I didn't know what to say. After dreaming of this day forever, it finally came. "Skye, are you there?"

"Yeah," I responded. "It's just, I never thought this day would come." I let out a breath at the end of that sentence, one that I had been holding since the day my father was diagnosed. He could probably hear my smile on the other end of the phone.